Which Is Better Wet Or Dry Foods
Each of these has their own advantages and disadvantages. For example, wet foods have higher moisture content and are less processed. However, wet foods have shorter shelf lives.
Dry foods, meanwhile, contain higher calories, carbs, and proteins. But, your feline companions will need to drink lots of water to compensate for the lower moisture content.
The best answer is to give your pets a healthy balance of wet and dry foods for variety. You can also offer one of these as a treat.
Why We Recommend Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Cat Food:
- Great for cats of all life stages
- Natural, raw infused kibble with the benefits of a raw food diet
- Safe and easy-to-serve
- Natural omega fatty acids for skin, coat and brain development
- Taurine for a healthy heart and vision
- Added probiotics for digestion
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for hip and joint health
- Crafted in the Merrick Hereford, Texas kitchen and cooked in the USA
List Of Merrick Pet Food Recalls
Cause: Potential for elevated beef thyroid hormone. Announcement: Company news release dated May 23, 2018 . What was recalled: The following beef dog treats, but only the ones with best before dates falling between May 1, 2017 and Sept. 1, 2019 :
- Castor & Pollux Good Buddy Prime Patties Real Beef Recipe, 4 oz., UPC #780872510806
- Castor & Pollux Good Buddy Sausage Cuts Real Beef Recipe, 5 oz., UPC #780872510745
- Merrick Backcountry Great Plains Real Beef Jerky, 4.5 oz., UPC #022808786160
- Merrick Backcountry Great Plains Real Beef Sausage Cuts, 5 oz., UPC #022808786047
- Merrick Backcountry Great Plains Real Steak Patties, 4 oz., UPC #022808786078
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated Aug. 8, 2011 . What was recalled: Merrick Doggie Wishbone pet treats, UPC #2280829050, Lot #11031, best by Jan. 30, 2013.
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated Jan. 28, 2011 . What was recalled: Merrick Jr. Texas Taffy pet treats, UPC #02280827077, all lot numbers up to and including 10364. No best by date given.
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA reports dated July 2, Aug. 3 and Aug. 16, 2010 . What was recalled: All lots of the following Merrick treats:
- Merrick Beef Filet Squares, 10 oz.
- Merrick Texas Holdems pet treats, 10 oz.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petfuls FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets lives.
Read Also: How To Pass Emissions Test With No Cats
My Overall Rating 7/5/10
Im giving Merrick Backcountry cat food an excellent overall of 7.5 out of 10. While I dont love the marketing message, the actual product scores well in the categories of species appropriateness , product variety, and ingredient quality.
Id recommend Merrick Backcountry to most cat owners out there.
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Kitten Recipe Dry Cat Food
Backcountry Raw Infused recipes for cats deliver a perfect combination of protein-rich, grain-free kibble plus real whole pieces of raw, freeze-dried meat for the nutritional benefits and fresh taste of a raw diet in a convenient format for pet parents. High-protein kibble starts with real deboned meat, poultry or fish as the first ingredient. Grain-free with no gluten ingredients. This recipe is also rich in omega fatty acids for a healthy skin & coat. Freeze-dried raw protein pieces are mixed into the kibble in a pure state to provide a nutritional boost, easy digestion and the fresh taste cats love. The raw inclusion goes through rigorous testing and a proven process called High-Pressure Processing to ensure food safety.
- Made with real deboned meat, poultry or fish
- No Corn No Wheat No Soy, gluten-free, grain-free
- Rich in omega fatty acids for a healthy skin & coat
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for hip and joint health
- Freeze-dried pieces provide easily digested nutrition
Sizes: 3lbs and 6lbs
|Digestive Health, Hip & Joint Support, High Energy, Skin & Coat Care, Vitamins & Minerals|
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Does My Kitten Need
Overall Is Merrick A Good Choice
Merrick cat food is an acceptable choice. Its neither one of the best nor one of the worst foods on the market. In terms of price and ingredient quality, Merrick appears to be comparable to Wellness, Fromm, and Wysong.
To get the best out of Merrick, opt for wet foods from the Backcountry line. Theyre free of carrageenan and have lower carbohydrate content compared to those in the Purrfect Bistro and Limited Ingredient lines.
What Kinds Of Cat Food Does Merrick Offer
Company founder Garth Merrick says that Merrick is set apart by the efforts we make to retain the natural goodness and nutritional integrity of the whole food ingredients we use, explaining that We use the fewest steps we can. We stay away from artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
We believe this approach keeps our customers and most importantly, their pets satisfied that our diets are contributing greatly to their pets happiness and well-being. Weve been doing that since the beginning, and well continue to do that in the future.
Merrick has a diverse cat food offering, including dry food, wet food, raw mixers, and treats. Theyre broken down into three linesPurrfect Bistro, Limited Ingredient Diet, and Backcountry.
Purrfect Bistro is the brands original cat food line. It includes both grain-inclusive and grain-free recipes, all targeting different life stages and needs.
The Limited Ingredient line targets cats with food sensitivities and allergies.
The Backcountry line involves all-natural, grain-free foods, some of which are infused with freeze-dried raw meat.
Our Final Thoughts: Is Merrick A Good Brand
All in all, Merrick is a high-quality brand that offers a wide variety of options for pet owners in all price ranges. They use premium ingredients including real animal proteins, though they do make some use of plant protein concentrates as well.
We love the high protein content of the formulas, though some had higher estimated carbohydrate content than wed like.
We definitely recommend Merrick wet foods. If you prefer dry food, wed encourage you to choose a raw-infused Backcountry recipe or a recipe from the Purrfect Bistro product line based on the protein and carb content, though the Limited Ingredient Diet line could be good for cats with allergies.
Here is the nutritional information for some of the most popular cat food recipes:
Real Animal Protein First
Merrick Backcountry dog food is packed with protein canines crave. In fact, every recipe is crafted with real deboned meat, fish or poultry as the first ingredient! Leading levels of high-quality protein can help your dog maintain healthy energy levels and promote healthy digestion. Plus, your pup will also find freeze-dried raw meat for the nutritious and protein-packed diet he deserves.
Read Also: Cat Licking Nose
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Real Salmon Recipe
- Great for pets with digestive issues. Most feline owners who have fed this to their pets who suffer from irritable bowel disease or frequent vomiting found that the symptoms disappeared shortly after switching to this wet food brand. A lot of sensitive kitties appear to benefit from the Merrick cat food brands single-source formula.
- Flavor.The salmon flavor is quite popular among those who have tried it, according to customer reviews. They seem to love it so much and lick their bowls clean, as noted by several buyers.
- Great for skin and fur. As this type of food is usually purchased by owners of sensitive cats, many kitties who have skin allergies have shown significant improvements in their skin and fur. According to a number of cat food reviews, no more scratching, and their coats are softer, thicker, and shiny.
- Strong odor.A few cat food reviews find this salmon pates fish scent to be too strong. One pet owner says that it gave her pet extra smelly stools.
The Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Salmon Recipe Pate is perfect for kitties with food sensitivities and digestive problems. As this canned food only has one source or animal protein, it is an easy choice for felines who have adverse reactions to certain types of meat or other ingredients.
While the empty cans might have a strong smell and require some rinsing, many still think that the health benefits that this food gives to their furry buddies are totally worth it.
Which Types Of Cats Is Merrick Best Suited For
Merrick cat food is a suitable diet for most healthy cats. They have some specialized recipes and pride themselves on using only the best ingredients for felines everywhere. Merrick has traditional dry kibble, wet cat food, and even some raw options. We will dig into all those details later, but almost any kitty can indulge in at least one of the many recipes Merrick has to offer.
You May Like: Senior Cat Age Chart
Unbiased Cat Food Reviews
Find the best cat food for your cat from 2800+ products and 150+ brands.
If you’re concerned about proper feline nutrition, ingredient quality, allergies,nutrition profiles, weight loss or simply feeding your finicky cat, the CatFoodDB is the perfect research toolto help you find the best cat foods – the ones that meet your cat’s individual needs.
CatFoodDB: Decoding nutrition labels so you don’t have to!
Merrick Backcountry Kitten Recipe Cuts
- Nutritious and high quality. Healthy food is especially important to growing kittens. Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Kitten Recipe Cuts is protein-rich and fortified with vitamins and minerals vital in kittens developing muscle tissues.
- Good sized morsels.This wet kitten food comes in small chunks instead of the usual pate for kittens. Theyre small enough for kittens to eat, but large enough to get them chewing, especially when teething.
- Flavor.The deboned chicken plus duck soaked in tasty gravy proved to be popular among young kitties who have tried the Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Kitten Recipe Cuts. One pet parent said that her kittens try to finish their servings first, and then steal morsels from their siblings.
- Slightly pricey. A handful of customers find this wet kitten food somewhat expensive compared to other foods.
The high protein content of this wet kitten food is perfect for growing kittens. It is vital that they are able to build strong muscle tissues.
A lot of kittens seem to love it, and as a result have developed good appetites. While it is on the pricey side, many pet parents believe the quality ingredients are worth the price.
Don’t Miss: Blue Weight Control Cat Food
Why We Recommend Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Kitten Food:
- Made especially for your kittens
- A nutritionally balanced diet
- Delicious real deboned chicken as the 1st ingredient
- Plus the healthy freeze-dried raw pieces of protein
- Provides a nutritional boost
- Satiates cravings for calories and more!
- Free from grain, gluten, corn, wheat, soy, and artificial preservatives
- Loaded with vitamins, amino acids, minerals, taurine, nutrients, omegas fatty acids
- Ingredients sourced from trusted local farm
- Crafted in the USA
- Available in a 3 lb, and 6 lb bag
Merrick Cat Food Review Summary
Please note that CatFoodDB may earn a small commission on purchases made via links on this site. Thank you for your support!
- Overall CatFoodDB has reviewed 53 Merrick cat food products.Together they average 6.9 / 10 paws,which makes Merrick an average overall cat food brandwhen compared to all the other brands in our database.
- The 39 reviewed wet foods scored on average 6.7 / 10 paws,making Merrickan average wet cat food brandwhen compared against all other wet food manufacturer’s products.
- The 14 reviewed dry foods scored on average 7.1 / 10 paws,making Merricka significantly above average dry cat food brandwhen compared against all other dry food manufacturer’s products.
At CatFoodDB, we calculate two scores for each product, each represented from 1 – 5 paws.The first score represents the quality of the ingredients in the product.The second score represents our analysis of the product’s published nutritional information.The 2 ratings are then added together to give each product a final score between 2-10 paws.For more information on our cat food analysis techniques, please .
Also Check: Purebred Tuxedo Cat
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Cat Food
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Cat Food is a protein-packed recipe, great for cats of all life stages. This natural kibble gives your cat all the benefits of a raw food diet in an easy-to-serve, safe and convenient kibble. Inspired by an ancestral diet just like in the wild, this recipe is a mix of freeze-dried raw pieces, easy-to-digest carbs and important vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. This meal is made with chicken as the #1 ingredient, as well as turkey, salmon, duck and quail for healthy muscle growth and maintenance.
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Cat Food is made with natural omegas for your cats skin and coat health, taurine for healthy vision and heart health, probiotics for digestion and glucosamine and chondroitin for strong hips and joints. This delicious and nutritious kibble contains everything your cat needs to look great and feel even better. Available in a 3 lb, 6 lb and 10 lb bag, crafted in the Merrick Hereford, Texas kitchen and cooked in the USA.
What Do Customers Think Of Merrick Cat Food
Merrick cat food receives primarily positive reviews. The brands product listings on Amazon and Chewy have, on average, four-to-five-star ratings. Most customers think Merrick is a high-quality brand and say that their cats enjoy eating it.
If you want to hear about negative experiences with Merrick, head to Consumer Affairs.
While reviews are varied, the presence of foreign objects in the food is a recurring complaint. At least two customers found pieces of plastic in cans of Merrick cat food and one found an unidentified brown, hair-covered object. The consumers made these complaints in 2010, 2015, and 2016, respectively.
Also Check: What Is The Name Of Hp Lovecraft’s Cat
Who Makes Merrick Cat Food And Where Is It Produced
Merrick was born over 30 years ago, starting in 1988. Garth Merrick from Hereford, Texas, started this company after home cooking meals for his dog Gracie. In July of 2015, Merrick Pet Care company was bought by Nestle Purina PetCare Company, transitioning from Swander Pace Capital. The company has grown tremendously over the years. Merrick Pet Care also includes Zukes, Whole Earth Farms, and Castor & Pollux. There has been a slight question as to the reduction of quality since Purina took over.
The Were All About Cats Standardrating Merrick On What Matters
Weve analyzed Merrick and graded it according to the Were All About Cats standard, evaluating the brand on species-appropriateness, ingredient quality, product variety, price, customer experience, and recall history. Heres how it rates in each of those six key areas.
We give Merrick cat food a 38 out of 60 rating or a C+ grade.
You May Like: How Many Calories A Day Do Cats Need
Overview Of The Merrick Brand
Merrick Pet Food was created in 1988 as a dog treat brand near Amarillo, Texas. Over the years, Merrick grew into a respected pet food manufacturer and eventually broke into the cat food industry in 2012 with the release of their Purrfect Bistro line of high-protein canned cat foods. Merrick also owns quality brands including Castor & Pollux, Natural Ultramix, and Whole Earth Farms.
The Merrick Petcare company offers pet parents health you can see. They describe their products as containing the ideal combination of protein and healthy fats to help maintain optimal weight and increased energy as well as ideal levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and top levels of joint-supporting glucosamine and chondroitin.
In the FAQ section of their website, Merrick states all of their foods are produced and manufactured in the United States. Most of their products are made in one of three company-owned facilities in Hereford, Texas. Their products are formulated by PhDs, veterinarians, scientists, and engineers to ensure optimal nutrition for pets.
Of their ingredients, Merrick states that most come from the United States with the exception being those not readily available in consistent supply or quality they use New Zealand lamb as an example.
Today, Merrick offers a wide variety of cat food products divided into three product lines. They also offer the Whole Earth Farms brand as an affordable option for cat and dog owners.
Sorry This Item Is Out Of Stock
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Recipe Dry Cat Food is an ancestral feline diet packed with protein cats crave. This grain free formula provides your cat with the nutritional benefits of a raw diet they would have discovered in the wild in a safe and convenient recipe that’s easy to serve.
- Real deboned chicken is always the first ingredient. This high quality protein helps build and maintain healthy muscle tissue and energy levels.
- Freeze-dried raw protein pieces are mixed into the kibble in a pure state to provide a nutritional boost with easy digestion and the fresh taste cats love. The raw inclusion goes through rigorous testing and a proven process called High-Pressure Processing to ensure food safety.
- This recipe is rich with Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, and contains leading levels of glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy hips and joints
- All Merrick recipes are crafted in our Hereford, TX kitchen and cooked in the USA, in facilities that uphold strict FDA guidelines.
Don’t Miss: Ceropegia Woodii Cats
Was Your Pet Food Recalled
Garth Merrick went on record as saying he had complete faith in Nestlé Purina to carry on the tradition of quality pet food that he had spearheaded.
I believe Nestlé Purina is the right company to take what I along with others have built to the next level, he said. Im proud my name will continue to be on the door as we remain committed to making the best food for the best pets ever.
In the next section, we discuss Merricks pet food recall history.