What Is Considered Low Magnesium Or Low Ash
Looking back to the guidelines from Tufts, we know that increasing hydration and decreasing the stone-causing compounds in the diet are the best options. We also know that one of the main culprits is magnesium.
But what is considered low in terms of these minerals?
For this article, were going to go with the guidelines set by veterinarian Dr. Debra Primovic who explains the best low magnesium cat food is one that has less than 0.12% magnesium on a dry matter basis.
Establishing a baseline for low ash is more difficult and even after months of research, I wasnt able to find an industry standard for low ash. And after consulting some veterinarian friends it sounds like there isnt one. So for this list, well be considering 2.6% ash content as low which is the same number we used in our list of the best cat foods with low ash.
Smalls Fresh Cat Food Best Overall
Smalls is undeniably our top choice for the best overall cat food for urinary tract health. It ticks off all the right boxes: rich in moisture, whole meat ingredients, and texture options for both finicky eaters and those with dental issues. Cats with urinary cat issues need food with lots of moisture. This brand has it in spades thanks to its use of human-grade fresh meat, which has a higher water content than kibble.
The Smalls cat food brand also has a low ash content. Ash is an inorganic mineral component that happens when the organic part of the food gets burnt off. This is important because foods with a high ash content can increase the pH of your cats urine, making them more susceptible to urinary tract infections.
The ingredient list is short and impressive, too. Depending on the recipe you choose, your cats meal will include good stuff like chicken thigh, breast, liver, heart, beef, or turkey. Aside from being rich in moisture, these ingredients are also packed with protein and nutrients that are essential to your cats health.
- More expensive than some other brands
- May not be available in some areas
Signs Your Cat Needs The Best Urinary Cat Food
Urinary problems in cats are as common as they are terrifying. In other words, they are easily one of the scarier things that most cats will experience at some point or another. Urinary complications can come in several forms, and they often present as:
- Painful, difficult urination
- Licking behavior around your cats urinary opening and/or
- Blood in their urine.
The most common reason for these symptoms is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, otherwise known as FLUTD. It is most common in male cats, whose urethras are narrower and more easily clogged up by crystals, stones, or debris.
FLUTD can also occur as a result of:
- Stress/mental trauma
- Nervous system complications or
- Hereditary factors.
If your cat is showing any of these signs or symptoms, please take them directly to the vet. Your vet will likely order that Kitty switches to special cat food for urinary health, depending on your pets diagnosis.
Also Check: How To Get Cat Pee Out Of Clothes In Washer
Top 10 Best Non Prescription Wet Cat Food For Cats With Urinary Crystals In 2022
With an increasing number of options on the market, its becoming harder to sort through the noise and find the best Non Prescription Wet Cat Food For Cats With Urinary Crystals that suits your particular needs.
Thats why were here to assist you in picking the best Non Prescription Wet Cat Food For Cats With Urinary Crystals . We have gone through the difficult process of evaluating every product in detail to find the best one. Whether youre buying for the first time or looking for an upgrade. Brace yourself for everything you need to know about buying the best product available.
So Without further ado, lets jump right in!
Here is our Top 10 Recommendations!
Provide Enough Water For Your Cat
Most cats and kittens survive on dry foods mostly, and often times, not enough water to keep them hydrated. Thus, if you feed your cat dry foods, ensure that it is accompanied by a bowl of clean water.
Remember, cats natural prey is usually 70% water and thats why canned meals try to make up for this by providing meals up to 90% water.
On the other hand, dry cat foods contain 5% to 10% percent water, which is too low considering cats do not have the thirst drive to compensate for what they lack from food.
You May Like: Cat Planet Cuties Episode 1
Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites Urinary Tract Support
Bonus Review: Making sudden changes to your dogs diet can upset his stomach and might do more harm than good if hes already suffering from health problems.
If your veterinarian doesnt think your dogs diet is a problem but he still has urinary issues, you might consider simply adding a urinary health support supplement to his daily routine.
These Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites come in a delicious chicken flavor and are formulated to balance your dogs urine pH while also supporting other aspects of his urinary health.
This supplement features Cran-Max with patented Bio-Shield technology to flush out bad bacteria and promote healthy bladder and urinary function. Simply follow the feeding instructions on the package to give your dog 1 to 3 chews a day. Its that simple!
The Basics About Urinary Tract Health in Dogs
Aside from the territorial aspect of it, peeing is a normal behavior for dogs. When you notice changes in your dogs urinary habits, it should be cause for concern.
Here are some of the most common things that can affect urinary tract health for dogs:
Urinary habits vary greatly from one dog to another, so just because your dog only pees twice a day doesnt necessarily mean something is wrong.
Here are some other warning signs that your dog might have a urinary health issue:
|30% Off at Chewy.com|
- Painful urination or difficulty urinating
- Changes in water consumption
- Lack of energy or interest in play
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
Cost Of Prescription Cat Food For Urinary Crystals
Your vet will prescribe your cat a specific kind of prescription cat food. This type of food is not covered by insurance and its not part of pet insurance plans either. The cost depends on what kind of crystals your kitty has, but you can expect to spend between $10-30 per month on this special diet.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Your Cat To Come To You
What Causes Urinary Crystals In Cats
There are different types of urinary crystals in cats, and each crystal requires a different environment to develop. Since age isnt really a factor when it comes to the development of crystals in a cats urine, there are other factors that we will focus on.
- Improper diet: In many instances, crystal formation is linked to a cats specific diet. Its been proven that low quality food filled with improper ingredients, high calories, or an incredibly high amount of protein can result in a change in the urines PH. Specific urinary PH levels can result in different types of crystal formation.
- Long term medication: Some medications can also cause a change in the urines PH, which can result in the formation of different crystals.
- Kidney disease: Kidney disease can also result in a change in urine PH when kidney function is compromised, so this can result in crystal production.
- Genetics: Just as other conditions can be passed down, scientists have shown that the chronic production of crystals can be passed down genetically.
- History of UTIs: Since some crystals are known to develop along with UTIs, cats who are prone to UTIs can develop crystals.
What Ingredient In Cat Food Causes Urinary Problems
The high content of magnesium in your cats diet has been linked to urinary tract problem in cats.
Also, when their urine ph go beyond 6.5, urinary tract infection can occur.
When theres a high mount of calcium, protein, magnesium and phosphorus found in your cats urine, bladder stones and urine crystals form.
Train your cat to drink plenty of water to avoid urinary problems. Always give them fresh and clean water daily.
Also Check: How To Act Like A Cat
What Are Urinary Crystals In Cats
Urinary crystals are a common problem in cats, particularly those that are fed dry food. In some cases, they can lead to a more serious condition called urolithiasis . Urolithiasis is when stones form in your cats urinary tract and/or bladder. Stones can also form after surgery on the kidney or adrenal gland.
Causes of Urinary Crystals In Cats: Some cats develop urinary crystals as a result of not drinking enough water or eating too much salt in their diet. This is especially true for cats that are fed dry food, which does not contain any moisture at all. Other causes include chronic dehydration and diabetes mellitus, which can cause calcium levels in the blood to increase significantly over time. The urine becomes supersaturated with minerals and salts from these sources until eventually, small deposits begin forming on the surface of the bladder wall due to crystallization processes taking place there regularly throughout each day while we sleep soundly through our pets frequent bouts with this painful condition.
Best Dry Cat Food For Urinary Health
- First ingredient here is boneless chicken
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals, and natural fiber, this recipe is balanced and holistic for total feline health
- This provides 38% protein, 11% fat, and a good amount of L-Carnitine for healthy metabolism
- With chicken fat and flaxseed, it also offers Omega fats for lustrous coats and
- Gives 352 calories per cup to encourage beneficial weight loss.
- Compared with many other products, we consider this one of the best cat foods for urinary tract health. So no cons!
- Contains limited amounts of magnesium to encourage fewer struvite crystals
- Includes egg for Omega-3, which encourages stronger, more radiant fur
- Formulated to lower urinary tract pH levels and maintain good functioning
- Uses wholesome chicken for a great flavor that your cat will adore and
- Has a unique kibble texture to clean your cats teeth while she eats
- The label suggests it contains zero fillers, however, corn gluten meal and ground corn are less nutritious than real meat.
- Contains corn and by-products from chicken.
Also Check: Why Is My Cat Peeing On My Bed
How Much Magnesium And Phosphorus Is In Royal Canin Urinary So
Now lets take a look at another of one of the biggest prescription diets out there and see whats inside Royal Canin.
Heres whats inside the canned version of Urinary SO on a dry matter basis :
- Magnesium: 0.4%
- Phosphorus: 0.8%
Heres what the Royal Canin website has to say for the dry version of Urinary SO:
- Magnesium: 0.1%
Beneficial Urinary Tract Ingredients
When choosing the best food for urinary problems there are a few things to look for on the products packaging and nutrition labels. These include:
- Low dietary magnesium. This micronutrient is often the main culprit of urinary crystals . High levels of magnesium are generally found in whole grains, so buying grain-free food is already a step in the right direction.
- Formulas that lower pH levels in urine. Urinary crystals dont thrive in acidic environments . Aiming for food that promises to lower pH levels can also help prevent the formation of crystals in the future.
- High moisture content. As we mentioned earlier, hydration is key in preventing bladder stones and crystals. Ample water intake dilutes your cats urine and keeps it flowing healthily. .
- Quality: Choosing low-quality food almost guarantees health problems. Your cat should eat a complete and balanced diet made from quality ingredients. You may need to do some brand background checks to ensure their food meets high-quality standards. We recommend:
- Royal Canin
Don’t Miss: Great Choice Cat Food Review
Runner Up: Wholehearted Urinary Support Chicken Flavor Dry Cat Food
Designed to balance the pH value of your cats urine, WholeHearted Urinary Support Chicken Flavor Dry Cat Food relies on DL-methionine to acidify urine in order to minimize the chance of struvites and calcium oxalates. Rich in protein, this grain-free formula contains no corn, wheat, or grains of any kind and is rich in antioxidants to boost your pets immune system. Omega 3s and 6s give their coat a lustrous shine and the balanced blend of nutrients makes sure that all of your cats dietary needs are met. The savory chicken flavor makes this kibble popular with picky eaters, too- and the fact that this cat food for urinary health is formulated to support their overall well-being certainly doesnt hurt.
Overall Best: Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau Succulent Chicken
- Type: Wet/Canned
- Made In: United States
Water is everything when youre feeding a cat prone to urinary tract disease and this food is sopping wet. Its a soup-style food thats 80% moisture. Soft, succulent chicken is set in chicken broth with sunflower seed oil.
Because its made from chicken meat without a lot of bone or connective tissue, the food is relatively low in ash and shouldnt increase your cats risk of developing urinary tract crystals. Its species-appropriate, meat-centric ingredient list keeps its pH within a carnivore-appropriate range.
With all the qualities we look for in a urinary diet, a generally carnivore-worthy ingredient list, and a history of deliciousness, this food is a good option regardless of whether your cat is prone to urinary tract issues.
You May Like: Best Canned Food For Savannah Cats
A Quick Glance At Our Favorites In 2022
|Crude Protein Percent:||15|
One of the very best cat food choices available for urinary tract health is Smalls Human Grade Fresh recipes. The Fresh Bird recipe features chicken thigh, chicken breast, chicken liver, green beans, and peas as the first five ingredients. This food, along with the other recipes in the Human Grade Fresh line, is very rich in moisture and will give your cat the extra hydration they need for optimal kidney and urinary health.
Smalls ensures your cat gets a top-quality diet that is nutritionally balanced and closely mimics their wild diet. The company uses only USDA-certified ingredients fit for human consumption. Smalls follows AAFCO guidelines in their formulas to ensure standards are met for overall nutritional quality for all life stages.
In addition to being high in moisture, this recipe is also low in carbohydrates which is perfect for our carnivorous feline friends. This food does come at a higher price, as a lot goes into the production and standards needed to craft these high-quality fresh foods.
Smalls is a subscription service, which may not be suitable for everyone. Getting started with Smalls is a seamless process and if you arent fully satisfied, you can cancel at any time. Remember to set aside some space in the refrigerator or freezer, as fresh foods will need to be stored properly.
|3.5, 7, 16, or 22 pounds|
|Crude Protein Percent:||31|
|Crude Protein Percent:||32.5|
- Requires prescription
What Are The Symptoms Of Urinary Crystals
Urinary crystals, also known as struvite crystals, develop in the bladder, mainly because of minerals crystallization. The problem is, especially common in cats that do not take ample water.
However, determining that your cat is suffering from urinary crystals is not easy, but you can look at the following symptoms:
- Straining when attempting to urinate: In most cases, urinary crystals come with inflammation of the urinary tracts that causes pain when the cat is trying to urinate. So, if you notice that the cat is straining when trying to urinate, it could be a red flag for urinary crystals.
- Frequently trying to urinate: When urinary crystals develop, they cause a burning sensation that makes cats feel like urinating all the time. Also, the cat is likely to try and lick the urethra area more than usual during grooming.
- Bloody urine: If you notice some blood in your cats urine, you should head to a vet immediately. If the cat urinates indoors, this is pretty easy to note. However, you should also not give up checking even if it urinates outdoors.
- Urinating outside the litter box: If your cat urinates in a litter box, a change of behavior should signal you that something is wrong. For example, if it suddenly starts urinating outside the litter box, the chances are that it is passing a message to you. So, have it checked by a vet for different conditions, including urinary crystals.
Also Check: Can I Give My Cat Catnip Everyday
Runner Up: Weruva Canned Classic Recipes
While it may surprise you to see another cat food on this list that isnt labeled or heavily marketed as a urinary-specific dietdont let that fool you.
Not only is there a wide range of cat food that meets our criteria but foods like Weruva still have urinary health in mind without slapping it on their main label. Weruva explains on their website that the high moisture content combined with high-quality meats and low magnesium is very urinary tract friendly.
They specifically explain that As obligate carnivores, cats must eat meat, and quality meat helps promote healthy urinary pH levels. The proper urinary pH for cats skews slightly acidic which, along with appropriate hydration, may help prevent crystal formation.
To be clear, thats far from a clinical trial that youd expect from a prescription diet but it does line up with what we know about urinary tract issues.
But what really makes Weruva stand out is the variety of flavors you and your cat can pick from- including some ingredients and varieties that youre not likely to see anywhere else which is why this brand also shows up on our list of the best cat foods for picky cats.
For example, the Marbella Paella flavor features seafood ingredients such as calamari, shrimp, and mussel. While variety certainly isnt a requirement, and the goal here is to find the best urinary food, its a nice bonus in this case.
2. Water Sufficient For Processing
4. Potato Starch
5. Sunflower Seed Oil