About Lawton & Cates Sc
When you need an attorney, trust the voice of experience…call the attorneys at Lawton & Cates.Since 1958, Lawton & Cates, S.C. has served clients throughout Wisconsin in court and administrative hearings covering all areas of legal dispute. The firm has emphasized civil trial practice and has developed the depth and skills necessary to handle a wide range of disputes and to manage large, complex cases utilizing our team concept. We are recognized as a leader in class actions, insurance coverage issues, and environmental litigation. Our commitment to excellence in litigation allows us to maintain our small firm atmosphere while competing against the large firms.
How Are Child Support Calculations Made
If one parent has primary placement, the court typically orders child support based on the following guidelines:
- One Child: 17% of gross income
- Two Children: 25% of gross income
- Three Children: 29% of gross income
- Four Children: 31% of gross income
If the parents share placement, the courts will consider the amount of child support mom would pay for the child for the time the child are with dad and offset that figure by the amount dad would pay for the time the child are with mom.
The court may use alternative formulas for high and low-income child support payers. Either parent may argue for deviation from these standard calculations.
When you are ready to move forward with your case, contactour Wisconsin family lawyers at Lawton & Cates.
What Are The Basics In A Divorce
Wisconsin is a no-fault divorce state. This means that the court is not interested in why a party is seeking a divorce. The court, however, must be convinced that the marriage is irretrievably broken. In other words, the court will grant the divorce if there is no reasonable prospect that the married couple can reconcile their differences.
Also Check: How Cold Can Cats Be Outside
How Do I Choose A Lawyer
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- – Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- – How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- – How are the lawyer’s fees structured – hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- – Is the lawyer’s office conveniently located?
Driving Directions To Our Office
From the NORTH via 1-90/94 : Take 1-90/94 to the Hwy 151 exit going toward the State Capitol. Take 151/E. Washington Ave. all the way into downtown. As you approach the Capitol Square, follow 151 from E. Washington left onto Blair St. Continue to follow US-151/S. Turn right onto S Broom St. Turn right onto W Washington Ave. Turn right at 345 W Washington Ave. We are located in the same building as Meriter, next to the Hyatt Plaza Hotel. Enter the parking ramp between Meriter and Hyatt then drive to parking level B. Follow signs pointing you to parking for guests of Meriter and 345 W Washington. Use any spot in the visitor parking level that is not identified as reserved. Take elevators to the 2nd floor.
From the NORTHEAST via Hwy 151 :Follow Hwy 151 toward the State Capitol. Take 151/E. Washington Ave. all the way into downtown. As you approach the Capitol Square, follow 151 from E. Washington left onto Blair St. Continue to follow US-151/S. Turn right onto S. Broom St. Turn right onto W. Washington Ave. Turn right at 345 W Washington Ave. We are located in the same building as Meriter, next to the Hyatt Plaza Hotel. Enter the parking ramp between Meriter and Hyatt then drive to parking level B. Follow signs pointing you to parking for guests of Meriter and 345 W Washington. Use any spot in the visitor parking level that is not identified as reserved. Take elevators to the 2nd floor.
You May Like: What Is A Cat’s Heart Rate
Professional Associations Awards And Memberships
· Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
· AVVO.com Rating 10.0
· Super Lawyer of Wisconsin Honoree
· Wisconsin Inter-Professional Committee on Divorce
· Association of Family and Conciliatory Courts, Founding Member, Board Member
· Delegate: World Congress on Family Law and Childrens Rights
· State Bar of Wisconsin
· State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section
· State Bar of Wisconsin, Children in the Law Committee
· State Bar of Wisconsin, Section Leaders Counsel
· James F. Doyle Inns of Court
· Legal Association for Women
· Fellow of Wisconsin Law Foundation
What Should I Look For In A Good Divorce Lawyer
According to the Divorce pamphlet produced by theState Bar of Wisconsin: “Contrary to what many people believe, good divorce lawyers don’t push their clients into full-scale war. This only leaves behind damage and resentment that can linger for years. The best outcome is a divorce that allows two people to begin to heal and get on with their lives. Toward that end, divorce attorneys help their clients settle their divorce, if at all possible, rather than go to trial.” We make it easy to speak to our divorce lawyers in Wisconsin. You can chat online, set up a video conference call, or meet in person at ourlaw firm in Madison.
Read Also: Biggest Household Cat Breed
Madison Personal Injury Law Firm
- FindLaw.com is doing its part in combating fake reviews. All reviews:
- Go through email verification, and reviewers must verify their email addresses.
- Can be confirmed and flagged as a verified client by law firms.
- Can be reported and subjected to removal if they violate FindLaw.com’s Terms of Service.
Click here to view our Terms of Service.
Fields marked with an * are required
345 West Washington AvenueSuite 201 Madison, WI 53703- 3007
Mon Fri 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Lawton & Cates 146 E Milwaukee Street Suite 120 Jefferson, WI 53549 674-4567
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Personal And Professional Volunteer Work
· Anti-Bullying Collaborative of Sun Prairie, Inc. , Chair
· Sun Prairie High School Gymnastics Booster Club, President
· State Bar of Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation Investigator: 3rd term/Committee Chairperson
· Sun Prairie Storm Swim Team Board Member/Secretary
· Crandon Lions Club: Past President
Recommended Reading: Can Cats Eat Mayonnaise With Tuna
Want To Check Lawyer Discipline
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.
Serving Families & Businesses For Over 60 Years
When you need a lawyer, turn to the team at Lawton Cates. Since 1958, we have been representing individuals, businesses, and families throughout the state of Wisconsin in an array of legal matters. Whether you have been injured in a car or truck accident, have a consumer issue, are facing criminal accusations, or need assistance with business litigation, our Wisconsin attorneys are here to help.
Unlike some other firms, our lawyers provide each and every one of our clients with the dedicated representation they need and the personal attention they deserve. We recognize that, for you, this isnt just another legal matterits your life. When you trust the team at Lawton Cates, you can rest assured that we will fight tirelessly for you.We know your case is not just a case. It’s your life.
Representing People Like You
With 60+ year of experience, choose Lawton & Cates to be on your side. Let our team help you and your family.
Recommended Reading: How Much Food Should An Adult Cat Eat
President And Lead Family Law Attorney
Former Family Court Commissioner Ginger Murray offers over 25 years of family law experience to clients. As a Commissioner, Ginger presided over divorce and paternity cases in which she decided custody, placement, child support as well as abuse and harassment restraining order/injunction hearings. As legal advocate, Ginger provides competent and compassionate representation for clients with family law matters, including: adoptions for stepparents, child support, custody, divorce, grandparent’s rights/guardianship, marital property/prenuptial agreements, mediation, paternity, and placement. Ginger helps many clients with diverse needs, including cordial couples seeking amicable divorces, abused clients needing their rights protected, parents wanting more time with or needing to protect children, parents being falsely accused of abuse and spouses needing to protect business interests, real estate, pension/retirement plans and other assets.
It’s a great pleasure to help clients obtain a divorce without a battle, when appropriate. In those cases, clients are generally more satisfied with the process as they have more control over the results. However, formal court proceedings are required in some cases, such as those involving alcohol/drug abuse, unequal income, or special concerns for a child. Because I have either presided over or litigated thousands of cases, I am very prepared to be as aggressive as your case demands.