Primary Ingredients In Merrick Cat Food
Merrick produces a range of different foods, and each line and each recipe has its own ingredients. However, a study of the ingredients highlights the following key ingredients, as well as some that are potentially controversial:
- Nutrient Sources Different recipes do use different meat as the protein source. The limited ingredients used in this food allow you to easily identify the main meat. We found chicken to be one of the most commonly used ingredients.
- Filler Foods Merrick does include some low-quality fillers. These are chosen because they include protein, but also because they come from lower quality vegetables or other sources, rather than meat protein. They do not contain the same high-quality amino acids as higher quality ingredients. Fillers that we found include pea protein, which was present in most if not all of the recipes, as well as dried alfalfa meal. Fillers are not harmful, but they could be replaced with better quality ingredients that offer greater nutritional benefit to your cat.
- Carrageenan Carrageenan is present in some of the recipes. Carrageenan is a food additive that is used in human as well as cat foods. It is a seaweed extract and is used as a binding agent. Some forms of carrageenan contain known carcinogens and inflammatories, although it is not necessarily found in all recipes from Merrick.
Review For Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Canned Cat Food
Jessica Boudreau August 8, 2022
My fussy girl loves this food, but only when the can is freshly opened. I have been scouring my local stores and the internet to find a reliable source for the 3oz cans. So far Canadian Pet connections has delivered in a timely manner and a quality product.My favorite part of Merricks is their choice of binder. All pet foods have a binder, but Merricks is my preferred kind using eggs and its a fair way down the list of ingredients, meaning the meat content is higher.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate Grain Free Canned Cat Food
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate Grain-Free Canned Cat Food takes the full-flavor gourmet cuisine enjoyed by food lovers all over the world and brings it right to your cat’s bowl! Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate Grain-Free Canned Cat Food starts with real, locally sourced, deboned chicken and is partnered with fresh produce for the nutrition and protein cats need. Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate Grain-Free Canned Cat Food contains no by-products, artifical colors or flavors, and no grains for a healthy, easily digestible food your cat is sure to love.
Also Check: Why Do Cats Scratch The Couch
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Real Chicken Recipe
- Helps with digestive issues.Many pet parents of cats who have various digestive problems stated that their pets issues were gone after switching to this particular recipe. Their symptoms range from chronic diarrhea to vomiting. It also has probiotics that help promote healthy digestion. Some customers state that they discovered this dry cat food through their vets recommendation.
- Improved skin and coat. Owners of cats with skin allergies have noted a significant improvement in their cats skin and fur after feeding them with this Merrick cat food brand. They noticed a lot less scratching and shiny, healthy fur on their pets.
- They are more active.Some felines have shown more activity and just seemed much healthier since eating Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Chicken Recipe. Pet parents noticed a renewed playfulness in their pets as a result of their overall health improvement.
- Food dust. Some buyers noticed that the bags they received had a lot of food dust in it. They find that the dry food is too crumbly for their liking that it gets easily crushed and turn into food dust. Cats usually do not eat the food dust, and just goes to waste.
Digestive issues can be very stressful for pets and their owners too. They could lead to dehydration among other numerous problems. Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Chicken Recipe offers relief for kitties who are suffering from problems such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Rabbit Pate Wet Cat Food Case Of 24 55 Oz
- Twenty-Four 5.5 oz Cans – Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Wet Cat Food Rabbit Recipe Pate
- Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Wet Cat Food Rabbit Recipe Pate
- Real deboned rabbit is always the first ingredient in this high protein cat food
- Grain free cat food has no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or soy
- Natural corn free cat food and soy free cat food with added vitamins, minerals and taurine for adult cats
Recommended Reading: How Old Are Male Cats When They Start Spraying
Merrick Cat Food Review For 202: Everything You Need To Know
We love our furry feline friends. We want them to be healthy and enjoy their meals. We love watching them eat with gusto when we finally hit the jackpot of buying the food they actually like. But lets face it kitties are much pickier than their canine counterparts.
With the hundreds of choices for cat foods out there, we are tasked with finding the best cat foods we can provide that suits our cats needs, and is of course, also approved by them.
This article, Merrick Cat Food Review, talks about one of the most well-known brands when it comes to pet foods. The Merrick Cat Food line gives us a good selection of cat foods according to their life stage and dietary requirements.
With each bag or can of pet food, Merrick promises to provide real whole foods, higher quality ingredients, health you can see, and food crafted in their Hereford kitchen. According to their fifth promise, Merrick gives back to communities committed to making life better for pets and pet parents.
Here at FelineLiving.Net we have a dedicated mission to provide cat owners like you with well-researched information so they can provide the best care and nutrition to their cat.
Our readers rely upon the cat food reviews, articles and recall alerts that we research and publish. We also routinely update and review our own reviews ensuring that any changes by manufacturers are brought to your attention.
What Happens If An Item Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items youd rather not replace, choose Don’t replace to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
Read Also: How To Get A Cat Esa Certified
Customer Questions & Answers
4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them.
To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we donât use a simple average. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It also analyzed reviews to verify trustworthiness.
3.0 out of 5 stars
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Real Salmon Recipe
- Great for pets with digestive issues. Most feline owners who have fed this to their pets who suffer from irritable bowel disease or frequent vomiting found that the symptoms disappeared shortly after switching to this wet food brand. A lot of sensitive kitties appear to benefit from the Merrick cat food brands single-source formula.
- Flavor.The salmon flavor is quite popular among those who have tried it, according to customer reviews. They seem to love it so much and lick their bowls clean, as noted by several buyers.
- Great for skin and fur. As this type of food is usually purchased by owners of sensitive cats, many kitties who have skin allergies have shown significant improvements in their skin and fur. According to a number of cat food reviews, no more scratching, and their coats are softer, thicker, and shiny.
- Strong odor.A few cat food reviews find this salmon pates fish scent to be too strong. One pet owner says that it gave her pet extra smelly stools.
The Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Salmon Recipe Pate is perfect for kitties with food sensitivities and digestive problems. As this canned food only has one source or animal protein, it is an easy choice for felines who have adverse reactions to certain types of meat or other ingredients.
While the empty cans might have a strong smell and require some rinsing, many still think that the health benefits that this food gives to their furry buddies are totally worth it.
Also Check: Blue Wilderness Cat Food Kitten
Merrick Backcountry Kitten Recipe Cuts
- Nutritious and high quality. Healthy food is especially important to growing kittens. Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Kitten Recipe Cuts is protein-rich and fortified with vitamins and minerals vital in kittens developing muscle tissues.
- Good sized morsels.This wet kitten food comes in small chunks instead of the usual pate for kittens. Theyre small enough for kittens to eat, but large enough to get them chewing, especially when teething.
- Flavor.The deboned chicken plus duck soaked in tasty gravy proved to be popular among young kitties who have tried the Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Kitten Recipe Cuts. One pet parent said that her kittens try to finish their servings first, and then steal morsels from their siblings.
- Slightly pricey. A handful of customers find this wet kitten food somewhat expensive compared to other foods.
The high protein content of this wet kitten food is perfect for growing kittens. It is vital that they are able to build strong muscle tissues.
A lot of kittens seem to love it, and as a result have developed good appetites. While it is on the pricey side, many pet parents believe the quality ingredients are worth the price.
The Were All About Cats Standardrating Merrick On What Matters
Weve analyzed Merrick and graded it according to the Were All About Cats standard, evaluating the brand on species-appropriateness, ingredient quality, product variety, price, customer experience, and recall history. Heres how it rates in each of those six key areas.
We give Merrick cat food a 38 out of 60 rating or a C+ grade.
Don’t Miss: Can You Feel A Microchip In A Cat
Who Makes Merrick And Where Is It Produced
Merrick was formed in 1988 when founder Garth Merrick started making home-cooked treats for his dog. The company has expanded to include cat food, but they stick to their original mission and the companys five-star promise:
- Real Whole Foods Merrick uses fresh meat, combined with whole fruit and vegetables. They dont use fillers, sweeteners, or other additives.
- Higher Quality Ingredients Buying directly from farmers means that Merrick can ensure the highest quality from their suppliers. It also means that the food remains fresh because there are fewer steps between the farm and your cats bowl.
- Health You Can See Merrick aims to provide the perfect combination of protein and fat combined with omega fatty acids, and other ingredients to ensure that your cat not only feels good but looks great, too.
- Crafted In Our Hereford Kitchen Garth Merrick started his company by making treats for his dog, from his kitchen in Hereford, England. The company continues to produce from this same kitchen, today.
- Merrick Gives Back The companys fifth mission is to give back and to help ensure the welfare of pets. They partner with local and national charities that protect the welfare of dogs and cats.
Merrick was purchased by Nestle Purina in 2015, but they announced that they would not make any changes to the production or management of the pet food line.
Why We Recommend Merrick Purrfect Bistro Chicken Canned Cat Food:
- Grain-free, pâté meal, great for cats of all life stages
- Unique texture for picky eaters
- #1 ingredient deboned chicken, cooked in a savory chicken broth
- Cranberry for urinary health and alfalfa meal packed with nutrients
- Extra calcium to support strong bones
- Packed with omega 3 and omega 6 for skin and coat health
- Taurine for heart health
- Loaded with antioxidants for immune health
- Free from grains, corn, wheat, or soy
- Adds needed moisture to your cats diet
- Ingredients brought directly from trusted farmers/rancher
- Crafted in the Merrick Texas kitchen and cooked in the USA
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Cat Not Eating Or Drinking
Which Types Of Cats Is Merrick Best Suited For
Merrick manufactures dog food that is made from fresh ingredients, using no artificial additives. They have dry and wet food and they have ranges for senior cats, kittens, and for those with sensitive stomachs. There are foods suitable for all cats and cat owners.
Regardless of whether you feed your cat dry or wet food, you need a bowl that is sure to keep the mess containedyou can do just that with the Hepper Nom Nom Bowl.
This is designed with your cats comfort in mind. The whisker-friendly bowls are low and wide to prevent whisker fatigue, and the wide catch tray ensures that all food stays exactly where it shouldinside the bowl.
At Excited Cats, weve admired Hepper for many years and decided to take a controlling ownership interest so that we could benefit from the outstanding designs of this cool cat company!
What Do Customers Think Of Merrick Cat Food
Merrick cat food receives primarily positive reviews. The brands product listings on Amazon and Chewy have, on average, four-to-five-star ratings. Most customers think Merrick is a high-quality brand and say that their cats enjoy eating it.
If you want to hear about negative experiences with Merrick, head to Consumer Affairs.
While reviews are varied, the presence of foreign objects in the food is a recurring complaint. At least two customers found pieces of plastic in cans of Merrick cat food and one found an unidentified brown, hair-covered object. The consumers made these complaints in 2010, 2015, and 2016, respectively.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Dried Poop Off Cat
What Kinds Of Cat Food Does Merrick Offer
Company founder Garth Merrick says that Merrick is set apart by the efforts we make to retain the natural goodness and nutritional integrity of the whole food ingredients we use, explaining that We use the fewest steps we can. We stay away from artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
We believe this approach keeps our customers and most importantly, their pets satisfied that our diets are contributing greatly to their pets happiness and well-being. Weve been doing that since the beginning, and well continue to do that in the future.
Merrick has a diverse cat food offering, including dry food, wet food, raw mixers, and treats. Theyre broken down into three linesPurrfect Bistro, Limited Ingredient Diet, and Backcountry.
Purrfect Bistro is the brands original cat food line. It includes both grain-inclusive and grain-free recipes, all targeting different life stages and needs. Its also the most economically priced of the three product lines.
The Limited Ingredient Diet line targets cats with food sensitivities and allergies. Each recipe is made with a single source of animal protein, including novel options like duck and turkey. While Merrick lists two dry food recipes in their LID line, only the canned food options appear to be currently available.
The Backcountry line involves all-natural, grain-free foods, some of which are infused with freeze-dried raw meat. Backcountry wet foods are only sold in 3-ounce pouches.
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Recipe
- The raw bits are a hit!The freeze dried raw bits are quite popular among cats who like this variant. Some pet parents even give the raw tidbits as treats. Some pick the raw bits out and eat them first before digging into the kibble. Even a few ferret owners are raving.
- Converted wet food only fans. A lot of owners whose cats previously consumed wet food exclusively were said to have liked the Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Recipe. According to them, this is the only dry food that their cats like. This makes it a good choice to try on cats that owners wish to convince that there is more to kibble than they thought.
- Rich in protein.Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Game Bird Recipe has a higher protein content than your average dry cat nourishment. The dry cat kibble is protein-packed with deboned meat. It has actual freeze-dried raw pieces of pure meat. It does not contain fillers such as grains and by-products.
- Raw bits are too big for some.Some kittens and cats find the freeze-dried raw bits to be a bit too large for their liking. While the kibble bits are small and perfect for little kitties, some are not able to reap the benefits of having the freeze-dried meat mixed with their dry food.
Recommended Reading: Natural Care Flea Collar Cats
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Poultry Variety Pack Grain Free Wet Cat Food Pate Recipes
Thursday 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Saturday9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sunday10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Monday9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Tuesday9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Wednesday9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sorry, there are no stores found close to your location.
- Merrick Purrfect Bistro Poultry Variety Pack Grain Free Wet Cat Food Pate Recipes
- Real deboned poultry is always the first ingredient in this high protein cat food
- Grain free cat food high in essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and 6 for healthy skin and super soft fur
- Wet cat food in a variety of flavors your cat will love, including duck, chicken and turkey
- Canned cat food with antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system