Reduces The Accident Of Abrasion To Owners
The aftermost acumen it is appropriate to accumulate your cats nails akin is to abate the accident of abrasion to you, the owner.
Playing with your cat is capital in basic a abutting band with them, and comedy additionally helps to animate your cat to exercise so that they can break blessed and healthy. Unfortunately, how bodies comedy is agnate to how they coursing in the wild, which agency claws will get fatigued and there is a achievability they could accidentally blemish you.
Whereas best owners will accordingly accept been bent by their kittys claws at some point, the best and bluff your cats nails, the added acceptable it is that they can account you austere damage. The anguish can drain and sting, and, in the worst-case scenario, become adulterated and accomplish us sick. The best and bluff the nails, the greater the accident of abundant trauma.
Depending on your situation, this acumen for accent your cats nails could accept capricious importance. If you or a ancestors affiliate has a anemic allowed system, cuts and wounds are added acceptable to become infected. Homes with adolescent accouchement should additionally be added cautious.
Learn The Proper Technique
Hold your cats paw in one hand and gently push down on one paw pad to extend the claw. Position the clipper blades at a diagonal rather than exactly perpendicular to the nail to help prevent the nail from cracking. Trim just the white tip of the clawits better to take off too little than too much. Repeat this process for each nail. Average cats will have 5 claws on their front paws and four on their back, however, polydactyl cats may have more.
Introduce Your Cat To The Nail Clippers
Slowly introduce your cat to the nail clippers. First, set them on the ground and let your cat sniff them. Then try clipping other items from time to time to help your cat get used to the sound.
As for which nail clippers you should use, pick whatever is most comfortable for you and your cat. Some people use human nail clippers. Others may choose a type of nail clipper designed especially for cats.1
Read Also: Do Chinese People Eat Cats And Dogs
Use The Right Cat Claw Trimmers
Finding the right clippers will help ensure your cats claws are properly trimmed and help prevent injuries to their claws or paws. Choose a well-sharpened pair of clippers with a scissor cut, safety lock and nail guard for best results. A nail guard will help to ensure you only trim the white parts of the nail, as the pink part contains blood vessels and nerve endings.
Buy A Claw Trimmer Here
2. Set the MoodIn order for both you and your kitten to have a pleasant experience, youll want to do the nail trimming in a low-stress environment. This is a new experience for the kitten, so you want to make it as comfortable as possible. Try trimming claws away from loud noises and distractions, maybe after a meal time or when the kitten is nice and sleepy!
3. ONLY Trim the White PartWhen trimming your furry friend’s nails you may notice that her nails are white on the ends and pink closer to their paw, just like human fingernails are pink with white tips. Only clip the white part of the kittens nail, just like you would only clip the white part of yours. The pink that you are seeing is actually their flesh, and cutting this part of the nail will cause your kitten a lot of unnecessary pain and bleeding. If youre not sure how far down to cut, simply start by trimming just the very tip of the claw. Its always better to cut too little than too much, so go slow!
4. Positive Reinforcement!One wonderful thing about starting claw trimming young is that the kitten will get used to the sensation of having her paws touched. Be sure to make this a positive experience! After trimming your kittens nails, try giving her a favorite treat as a reward for good behavior. By using positive reinforcement, youll ensure that trimming the kittens claws will continue to be a breeze as they get older.
Read Also: Is Blue Buffalo Good Cat Food
Grooming The Claws Of A Kitten In 1
When the babies turn 1 month old, they begin to actively explore the surrounding world. During this period, the clipping of the claws is strictly not recommended, since the kittens learn to walk, keep their balance and control their own fingers. When a kitten runs or performs any maneuvers, he consciously releases claws or holds them in pads.
In 2 months the claws of the kittens remain sharp and grow markedly in length. Since at this age babies still eat mothers milk, their claws can lead to trauma and irritation of the nipples skin. This is the only reasonable reason why a two-month-old kitten needs to cut off the tips of the claws. However, it is from 2-3 months of age that the kittens are recommended to start to accustom them to claws.
Prepare Your Cat For Nail Trims
If you’re bringing home a kitten, get her used to the nail trimming process as soon as possible. Establish those good habits early on and your life will be much easier.
Regardless of your cat’s age, begin by getting her used to having her paws handled. Massage her feet and play with her paws regularly, speaking softy and rewarding her with treats to reinforce just how enjoyable the experience is.
You also want to get her used to the sight and sound of the nail clippers, before you ever attempt a trim. Take the clippers out of the drawer where you keep them and let her sniff and explore, rewarding with treats to create a positive association.
The biggest difference between trimming a dog’s nails and trimming a cat’s is that cats possess retractable claws. When trimming a cat’s nails, you’ll need to gently squeeze the top and bottom of each foot to extend the claws for trimming. If she flinches or pulls away, don’t fight her. Just gently stroke and continue to soothe until she’s relaxed enough for another try. Pros suggest pressing down to extend one nail each day in preparation for the eventual trimming. Extend the nail, and then reward her with a treat. That way, she’ll be ready when the time to actually cut the nails comes.
Read Also: Is Blue Buffalo Good Cat Food
Acquirement A Cat Abrading Post
Cat abrading posts are a charge for any cat owner. These articles are about fabricated from sisal and, in some cases, absolute wood. These abstracts are all abundant for your cat to blemish as they mimic timberline trunks which are predominantly area your cat will be filing their nails in the wild. Plus, sisal and copse are both acutely abiding and finer book your cats claws bottomward back scratched.
If on a budget, you can additionally acquirement agenda abrading posts, but these are not as abiding and are absolutely not a abiding band-aid unless you appetite to abide affairs replacements.
Regardless of which blazon of abrading column you buy, they all additionally appear with a additional added account they avert your cat from abrading the furniture. By accouterment an another and bigger abrading option, your cat will absorb beneath time abrading your couch, carpet, and added furniture, and added time clawing at their blemish post.
Therefore, while cat abrading posts wont necessarily be an another to accent your cats claws, they assignment hand-in-hand with them by protecting your furniture and accompanying endlessly your cats nails from accepting too long.
Instructions For Accent Your Cats Nails
Try afterward the beneath accomplish and dont blitz the process. You will absurd be able to go through all the accomplish in one sitting immediately, but gradually assignment through the accomplish over a few weeks:
Also Check: Is Peppermint Oil Toxic To Cats
Advance A Advantageous Weight
Cats in the agrarian accumulate their nails advantageous through hunting, playing, and alike aloof affective around. This is accurate for your pet cat too, and the added alive they are, the bigger action their claws will be in.
If your cat is a advantageous weight, they are added acceptable to appetite to exercise, admitting ample or adipose bodies wont appetite to absorb as abundant time on their anxiety as theyll feel annoyed added quickly. Therefore, keeping your cat a advantageous weight can additionally badly advice advance the action of their claws.
You should be able to acquaint if your cat is ample artlessly by attractive and activity them. Bodies of a advantageous weight should accept a baby pad of fat on their stomach, and you should be able to feel their ribs, hips, and back through touch. However, you dont appetite these basic to be arresting as otherwise, your cat could be underweight. If youre unsure, booty your cat to the vet and they can backpack out a accepted check-up.
If your cat is overweight, try to animate added comedy to advice accumulate those nails in acceptable anatomy while additionally allowance them to about-face some added pounds.
How To Trim Your Cats Claws:
First, you have to make sure that your cat is sitting comfortably to avoid any additional stress. You must have access to its paws, but there are a few possible ways it can sit for this:
- place the cat belly-down on a table and place it perpendicularly to you
- sit down and take the cat into your arms with its back turned to you
It does not matter if you start with the front or the hind paws, but remember that there are 4 claws to cut on each of the hind paws and 5 claws on each of the front paws . Here are the main steps for the cutting process:
- To start trimming, expose the claw by gently pressing on it with your fingers. Cats have retractable claws and you usually see just the tip, if anything. To trim claws properly, they have to be fully exposed. If your cat has long hair, you will also have to pull aside the hair around the claws.
- Once you can see it clearly, take a good look to determine where the quick is because that is the part you do not want to cut. Cats have transparent claws, which makes this very easy. The quick is the pink portion in the center and it will be easy to recognize.
- Avoid cutting right above the quick to prevent cutting it, but also to make sure your cat doesnt feel pain after trimming. If the claws are cut too short, the area may be painful for a short while because the innervated parts of the quick are exposed to physical stimuli.
My sister, who adopted rehomed Ragdoll cats, had to cut their claws differently. This video was taken in Jan 2016:
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Cat’s Paw Swollen
How To Trim A Resistant Cats Nails The Easy Way
Flickr: Chris Gin
Though some cats are very cooperative when it comes to nail clipping, others maybe very resistant. I have three cats, they give three different responses to nail trimming. Shadow lets you clip his nails with ease. Flip may flinch once in a while, but he is mostly calm and does not move around too much if the person who cuts his nails is gentle and someone he can trust. Jackie, our fluffy kitty does not like nail clipping with a passion. He would resist so hard that we almost never get to do it while he is awake.
So that got us thinking maybe we shouldn’t do it when he is awake. He just would not let us touch his paws. Then a light bulb went on in our head. Here is how it went when we attempted to trim his nails when he was asleep 🙂
Play the video below:
When cats are in a state of stress, the best way to calm them down is distraction. Besides trimming their nails while they are asleep, you can also try to feed them treats such as mayonnaise , they’d be too busy licking off the treats to worry about having their nails trimmed. However, if your cat is as resistant as my kitty Jackie, the nail trimming while asleep technique should work the best. Here is a clip of a stray kitten who is still in the process of learning to trust people, getting his nails trimmed:
From What Age To Cut The Claws Of A Kitten
In all the reference books for the care of pets it is recommended to cut the claws of the pet as necessary. How to determine that such a need arose? With dogs, everything is easier, if the claws knock on the floor or the fingers are moving apart its time to cut. In relation to cats, the need is determined at the discretion of the owner.
Recommended Reading: How Cold Can Cats Be Outside
How To Trim Your Cat’s Nails
This article was co-authored by Pippa Elliott, MRCVS. Dr. Elliott, BVMS, MRCVS is a veterinarian with over 30 years of experience in veterinary surgery and companion animal practice. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1987 with a degree in veterinary medicine and surgery. She has worked at the same animal clinic in her hometown for over 20 years.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article received 16 testimonials and 95% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,098,932 times.
A cat may need its nails trimmed to keep them from splitting or breaking, and you may find it productive to trim off the sharp points of your cats nails if the cat is prone to kneading, scratching, etc. Trimming a cats nails is fairly easy once you get your cat accustomed to it. Read on for detailed instructions.
My Cats Claws Are Too Long How Can I Cut Them
You should only trim your cats nails if they are too long, not because they are sharp. Its best to speak to your vet if youre unsure. If your vet has advised you to cut your cats claws, you need to do so slowly and carefully. Youll need some cat nail clippers or cat nail scissors, and your cats favourite treats. We wouldnt recommend using human nail clippers, as these can cause your cats claws to split. You can buy cat nail clippers from the PDSA Pet Store online.
Its also important to remember that once youve trimmed your cats nails they will want to sharpen them again so be prepared for them to scratch more to get their nails back to their normal pointed shape.
For a good few days before, youll want to get your cat used to having their paws touched. Start to build them up by gently touching their paws and giving them a treat if they stay calm, but stop if they start to look uncomfortable or stressed.
When theyre happy to have their paws touched, you can start clipping:
Read Also: Is Blue Buffalo Good Cat Food
Types Of Nail Trimmers
There are many different types of nail trimmers. Buy good quality trimmers that are sharp and designed for cats. They should be concave at the cutting edge, to avoid crushing the nail. Blunt or poor quality trimmers will split and crush the nail. If the nails arent that long but are sharp you can simply file them or use a pumice stone to take off the tips. In the US it is common to use a dremel to slowly burr down the nails and this can be more gradual and safer than clipping.
How To Trim Cat Nails
Be sure to use a pair of cat-specific nail clippers, and make sure they’re sharp. Dull clippers can cause the nail to split, which can be painful for your cat.
Here’s how to start trimming:
- Only clip the sharp tip of the claw. You don’t want to cut too much and get the quick, which is the pink part of the nail that gradually grows longer with untrimmed claws. It’s always a good idea to have styptic powder on hand to stop the bleeding if you do accidentally cut their nails too short.
- Trim a few nails at a time and reward your cat with praise, love and treats. If they tolerate it well, continue clipping. Otherwise, don’t worry about getting all of the nails at once.
- If your cat likes to be held, try recruiting another person to hold your cat against their chest while you clip the nails to make them feel more comfortable.
- If you get on a regular schedule of cutting your cat’s nails every few weeks, they will eventually get used to it. Just be sure to keep the process positive and rewarding for them.
You May Like: How Old Is A 12 Year Old Cat