How Long Does It Take For A Cat Uti To Go Away With Antibiotics
The ideal duration of antibiotic therapy for uncomplicated and complicated UTI is unknown. Many textbooks recommend 10 to 14 days for uncomplicated UTI and 4 to 8 weeks for complicated UTI however, these guidelines are not evidence-based, and much shorter durations are the standard of care in human medicine.
Recommended Reading: How Cold Can Cats Be Outside
What Are Anal Sacs
Anal glands are two sacs located on either sides of your dogâs anus. These glands release scent markers, most notably in feces. Thatâs why your dog is so interested in smelling other dogâs butts. Anal sac âexpressionâ can also occur when dogs are scared, releasing an unpleasant, fishy odor.
How Can I Prevent Bad Breath In Cats
You can prevent bad breath in cats by following the below instructions
- Visit the vet frequently, irrespective of your busy schedule.
- Schedule professional dental cleanup once a year, or brush your cats teeth yourself regularly. Brushing your cats teeth can remove the plaque and prevent tartar formation. .
- Change the dry and hard diet of cats to something watery with meat in it. The liquid diet doesnt dry up the cats mouth. .
- Switch to tougher treats, as when the cats chew tougher treats, the teeth get cleaned.
- You can add liquid cleansers prescribed by the vet to the water bowl of your cat. As the cat drinks the water, the liquid cleanser will remove the plaque from the teeth.
Recommended Reading: How Much Dry Food Should A Cat Eat
How To Clean A Cat’s Teeth
If the cat whose bad breath worries you is a kitten, you’re in luck this is the best age to start cleaning his teeth. If he gets used to this routine, he will not complain so much when he is an adult and it will be easier for you. In case the rotten fish breath problem occurs in adults and you have never cleaned his teeth, it will be more complicated, obviously.
If you are in this situation, you will have to approach his mouth and interact with him progressively. The first thing you have to do is impregnate your finger with something tasty he likes and rub his teeth with it. When he gets used to this, it’s when you have to start cleaning. In case you do not get there, contact our online veterinarians, they can recommend, depending on the behavior and age of your cat, some liquid to make them clean without brushing.
Other Reasons Your Cat Smells Like Death
It may not be that your cat has bad breath or a problem with their rear end. It could be that your cat has a general bad odor. As cats are very hygienic animals, this still indicates a problem. If your cat stops grooming themselves to the point they smell bad, then it is a sure sign of a problem. It is also possible there could be other external factors causing malodorousness in your cat. They include:
- Depression: while it is possible depression is concurrent with stress, there are not exactly the same. Cats are not as psychologically sophisticated as humans, but they can still exhibit depressed behavior. This may result in stopping grooming and, eventually, foul smells. Their depression may also be the result of a physical ailment which has it as a symptom.
- Obesity: when cats become too fat, they cannot reach certain areas of their body for cleaning. There also may be related gastrointestinal issues with obesity which add to foul odor.
- Foreign substance: perhaps one of the most obvious reasons for a cat smelling bad is that they have something bad smelling on their coat. Cats often roll over on the ground. While they are usually careful not to do this on something they shouldn’t, accidents happen. It is also possible something foul smelling has landed on their coat. If this substance is unpalatable, it may result in your cat from stopping to groom.
Read Also: Is Thieves Oil Safe For Cats
Clean Up Messes With Enzyme Cleaners
As much as we try to prevent them, cats have accidents. When urine gets into carpeting and upholstery, it leaves behind powerfully strong odors. The good news is there are lots of great products with enzyme cleaners that can make things just like new. Talk to your local, independent pet retailer, who can recommend great products that work. Lay plastic sheeting on top of the treated area, and allow to rest overnight, so the enzymes can work their odor-slaying magic without the solution drying out.
Read Also: How Cold Can Cats Be Outside
Bad Smell Every Now And Then
Some cat guardians may notice an occasional musky or fishy odor. Most likely this is caused by the cats anal glands. These two sac-like glands just inside the anus can become full, and a cat may empty the contents in her environment, especially if she becomes excited or fearful.
This article was previously published on Answers.com and is republished with permission.
You may also like
Don’t Miss: Dragon Plant Toxic To Cats
How Can Halitosis Be Prevented
Fortunately, there are products available that decrease the accumulation of plaque once the teeth are clean. The Veterinary Oral Health Council only accepts dental products that are safe and proven to reduce the accumulation of plaque and tartar based on scientific studies accepted products are listed at VOHC.org, or ask your veterinarian for recommendations.
Oral care products containing zinc can inhibit the formation of odor through their natural attraction to sulfur zinc and hydrogen sulfide combine to form the insoluble compound zinc sulfide. Zinc also interferes with microbial growth and calcification of microbial deposits that can cause halitosis.
“Daily plaque control is an essential part of controlling and preventing halitosis from recurring.”
After the causes of halitosis have been identified and eliminated, daily plaque control is an essential part of controlling and preventing halitosis from recurring.
Wiping the outside of the teeth and gums with a Q-tip twice daily is one of the most effective ways to remove and slow the accumulation of plaque. Dipping the Q-tip in tuna water is recommended to help introduce this cleaning with your cat.
Dental examinations at least twice a year are recommended to help treat and prevent halitosis.
Food Caught In The Teeth
Who has not been annoyed by the adamant piece of food stuck between the teeth? Not only is it annoying, but it can also lead to bad breath.
The same goes for dogs. Food stuck between teeth can then lead to inflamed gums in your dog and if left untreated, he can even lose teeth. The bacteria that results from the food stuck between the dogs teeth can end up causing serious dental diseases, which in turn can cause smell like fish in your dogs mouth.
According to expert advice from Dr. Pendegrass, to avoid the occurrence of such a disease, it is important to practice proper dental care such as brushing your dogs teeth as regularly as a few days a week.
Don’t Miss: Normal Cat Pulse
Are They Scooting And Licking Their Anal Glands
Dogs have a habit of sniffing and licking their behinds of themselves and any friendly dog they meet. This social interaction can become very unhygienic as matter passes from around the anus to their mouth. Often, dogs will scoot along the ground andick their behind to relieve the discomfort of blocked anal glands. Blocked anal glands can become smelly with a fishy odour and this will get onto the dogs breath if they lick this area. So, make a point of checking their glands if your dogs breath is suddenly fishy especially if you know that their oral hygiene is fine.
Oral Causes Of Bad Breath
A staggering number of adult cats suffer from oral and dental diseases that can potentially cause bad breath. Between 50 and 90% of cats aged four years and older have experienced at least one disease of the mouth and/or teeth.
- Periodontal disease:Gum disease is the most common cause of bad breath in cats and, untreated, can lead to additional complications like tartar buildup, pain, and tooth loss. The most well-known periodontal disease is gingivitis. Look out for bleeding, redness, or swelling of the gums. Untreated, gingivitis can evolve into periodontitis, the effects of which are irreversible.
- Stomatitis: A catch-all term for inflammation of the mouth, stomatitis can refer to a range of conditions. Certain breeds of cats experience higher rates of stomatitis than others.
- Oral cancer: When tumors in a catâs mouth grow, they can become infected and cause bad breath. Generally, the prognosis for cats with oral cancer is not good.
- Tooth resorption: Veterinarians donât know what causes tooth resorption. The most common cause of tooth loss in cats involves the gradual breakdown of the tooth. Though the toothâs structure begins to fall apart internally, visible signs of resorption begin around the gumline. Resorption is painful for cats and may lead to drooling and food avoidance.
Recommended Reading: Is Blue Buffalo Good Cat Food
Other Symptoms To Look Out For Along With Fishy Smelling Anal Glands
Your dog may experience the following in addition to a fishy smell if there is a problem with their anal glands:
- Scooting on the floor
- Discomfort when a dog poops
- Blood in the stool
- Discolored or swollen anus area
- Biting or licking
It is extremely important to pay attention to your dogs stool when looking for anal gland problems.
My Cat Breath Smells Like Fish Or Rotten Cat Food
As we told you at the beginning of the article, a kitten or an adult cat’s mouth will always smell a bit of food. When the days pass, you will get used to recognizing the difference between the normal smell of his breath and the smell of rotten fish, which is a problem.
The reasons for authentic halitosis are due, mainly, to two factors: bad diet and poor dental hygiene. It is common that many PetLovers neglect the oral health of their furry, either by laziness or by pure ignorance, but the ideal is to be able to clean them every two days. By doing so, you will prevent him from having an infection in his mouth that can spread through his bloodstream, as well as having bad breath or tooth decay.
Read Also: 12 In Cat Years
What Does Your Cats Breath Smell Like
You can help your vet get to the bottom of bad breath more quickly by paying close attention to the particulars of its scent. Check out this quick guide to recognizing the source of your catâs halitosis.
- Human halitosis: Feline breath that smells similar to human halitosis typically indicates issues with a catâs mouth, tongue, teeth, or gums. This could be light plaque buildup or a serious disease.
- Fruit or syrup: A sugary smell may indicate that a cat is suffering from diabetes. Watch out for other warning signs like excessive thirst and urination.
- Ammonia: A strong smell of ammonia or urine on your catâs breath could be a sign of kidney trouble.
- Vomit: A foul, vomit-like odor could have its roots in your catâs liver. Other signs of liver disease include abdominal swelling and yellowing of the eyes, skin, and gums.
When To Consult Your Vet About Fishy Smelling Breath In Dogs
Some of these issues are treatable at home. Lingering food or a lapse in dental hygiene is rectifiable with better oral healthcare. Look for a better canine toothbrush and toothpaste, perhaps with a natural canine mouthwash in their water.
Regularly inspect your dogs mouth by carefully lifting up your dogs lips to look for inflammation or redness of the gums. Try and look at the top back teeth for tartar build-up as well. If you see these, then there are signs of problems and need a visit to the vet.
Issues with the anal glands are treatable at home if you know how. Or, you can take your dog in to see the vet for a professional approach. If you cant diagnose or find the best treatment for fishy dog breath at home, seek advice from your vet.
Try these great healthy homemade Fresh Breath Treats to help keep your poochs mouth happy.
Read Also: Arrowhead Plant Facts
Why Does My Cat Smell Like Urine
A common cause behind urine odor is a urinary tract infection. If its accompanied by the following symptoms, have your cat seen by a vet:
- More frequent trips to the litter box than usual
- Crying out while going
- Cat cleans its bottom area more frequently than usual
One thing to keep in mind is that UTIs are most common in cats that are overweight and get little exercise. At the same time, when cats carry extra bulk, its more difficult to reach everything during grooming, leading to unpleasant litter box scents lingering on your cats fur. If your cat needs help, read our tips to help your cat lose weight the healthy way.
Brushing Your Cat’s Teeth
More than half of all cats over the age of three have periodontal disease. Brushing three times a week is the minimum recommendation to help remove plaque and prevent tartar accumulation. In order to be successful at brushing your catâs teeth, you must make it a positive experience for both of you. Do not use human toothpaste or baking soda. A list of dental products and diets that have been accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Counsel can be found at vohc.org.
Also Check: How Long Do Tuxedo Cats Live
What Causes Bad Breath In Cats
mailIf your cats breath smells bad, you might have more of a problem on your hands than putting up with a foul smell. If youre noticing your cats breath producing a strong, unpleasant odour, this isnt normal and warrants further investigation. Ongoing bad breath in a cat can be due to a variety of health problems. In fact, around 75 per cent of cats over the age of three have dental disease, and smelly breath is usually one of the first signs pet owners notice.
Odour-producing bacteria building up in your cats mouth will most likely be the cause of your cats bad breath. Saliva and bacteria form plaque that can then mineralise and become tartar if not treated. This can lead to periodontal disease that is an infection of the supporting tissues of the teeth. Excessive brownish tartar, drooling, difficulty eating or favouring one side when chewing, plus inflamed gums are signs that your cat has dental disease that should be addressed by your vet.
Dietary issues can contribute to bad smelling breath with foods such as fish or liver based ingredients contributing to the smell. Cats may also accidently chew on foreign objects like rubber bands resulting in particles becoming lodged in their mouth. This is an easy problem to solve though. All you need to do is change what you feed them.
Gingivitis and Stomatitis
How to treat bad breath in cats
Preventing bad breath in cats
You Can Do A Lot To Prevent Or Improve Your Cats Breath Maybe Even A Present For Valentines Day
- Regular dental check ups are essential
- Buy your cat a toothbrush and tooth paste. Watch a video on how to do it!
- Feed prescription veterinary diets specially designed to keep teeth clean. Veterinary chews can also be useful and your cat will enjoy them. Especially those with cat nip in! You can buy these at your local veterinary practice >
- Allow access to the outdoors for hunting if your cat wishes to.
- Have a scale and polish when your vet suggest it a lot of people find it impossible to clean their cats teeth by
Have a wonderful cuddle some time on Valentine’s Day! Remember, don’t hesitate to ask your friendly veterinary practice if you need help with any health care issues.
Read Also: Blue Buffalo Basics Canned Cat Food
How To Avoid Problems In Dog Anal Glands
Now we know why our dogs anus smells like fish, we will discuss ways to reduce this unpleasant odor. The preventive measure we can take include the following:
- Treat the dog at the appearance of the first symptom. Do not wait for the clinical picture to get complicated before seeking veterinary help.
- If our dog is prone to anal fluid accumulation, we should add regular dog anal gland expression to their care routine. This can be done at home by the dogs guardian, but it is also possible the veterinarian or dog groomer can do it for you.
- The characteristics of the dogs stools are known to influence the health of the anal glands. Chronic diarrhea, small or too soft stools do not press well on the glands when excreted. This makes it easier for them to accumulate the lubricating fluid. A correct diet helps with this elimination.
- It is also known there are breeds with a propensity to suffer problems in the glands. If we live with a German Shepherd, Chihuahua or Poodle, for example, we must pay special attention to this aspect.
When a dog has a serious problem with their anus, it can bleed. This is not usually due to anal gland problems, but the problem could be related. Our article on why a dog is bleeding from their anus may help to understand more.
If you want to read similar articles to My Dogs Anus Smells Fishy, we recommend you visit our Other health problems category.
What Causes A Cats Butt To Stink
Most commonly this is going to be an issue with your cats anal glands, but you can also get some kitty wipes if you notice any fecal matter becoming stuck in their fur. This most commonly occurs with long-hair cats so some regular kitty-wipe grooming might be just what you need.
If you are not seeing fecal matter in the fur, then this could be an indicator that your cat is ill and a vet visit is going to be the quickest way to get to the bottom of the issue.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Matts Out Of Cat Hair