These Are The Best Flea And Tick Pills For Cats
- Bravecto This is a chewable tablet that can be given once every 3 months to cats over 6 months of age. It works by killing fleas and ticks before they bite your cat and also soothes your cat.
- Nexgard Chewables This is another chewable tablet that can be given once every 3 months to cats over 6 months of age. It works by killing fleas and ticks before they bite your cat and also soothes your cat.
- Capstar Flea Treatment for Cats & Dogs This is an oral flea treatment that kills adult fleas within 4 hours of administration, which helps get rid of them before they lay eggs or take more blood from your pet. The effects last for about 24 hours, but keep in mind this does not repel fleas from biting, it just kills them after they have already been on the animals coat and skin
- Revolution Flea And Heartworm Control For Cats Another great option if you want something topical instead would be Revolution which treats both heartworms as well as internal parasites such as roundworms and hookworms too! One dose lasts 30 days so its easy enough just one time per month! If you want something topical though then Id go with PetArmor Plus instead because it provides dual action against both fleas AND ticks .
In the end, we recommend Bravecto as the best flea and tick pill for cats. It is one of the safest flea and tick medications on the market. This medication has been known to work for up to 12 weeks at a time without having any side effects on your cat.
Naturvet Brewers Dried Yeast Formula With Garlic Flavoring Plus Vitamins For Dogs And Cats
Image courtesy Amazon
NaturVet Brewers Dried Yeast Formula with Garlic Flavoring Plus Vitamins for Dogs is a daily supplement that aids in repelling fleas and ticks. This treatment also includes important vitamins and minerals.
This best flea pill for dogs is a top seller because it is both effective and simple to administer to your pet. This supplement is available in a powder form that can be added to your pet’s meals.
Best Flea And Tick Pill For Cats
The flea and tick menace is a hard one to beat, but it can be done. If the pills dont work, the best way to prevent fleas and ticks is to try out another option. Ive listed my five favorite flea and tick treatments below so that you can choose one that suits your household.
As a cat owner, its important to take care of your pets health. You want to make sure that they are protected from fleas and ticks, but you also dont want to use a product that will harm them. The best flea and tick pill for cats is one that is safe and effective.
The best flea and tick pill for cats should be easy to administer. You want something that isnt messy or hard to use, so that you can give it as part of your regular routine. It should also be easy on the budget, since most people dont want to spend a lot of money on these types of products.
You also shouldnt have to worry about getting your cat sick from using too much of this type of medication. Thats why many owners prefer topical solutions over pills or injections when it comes time for their pets monthly dose. This allows them to apply directly onto their skin without having any side effects from consuming too much at once however, there are some drawbacks associated with using this type of treatment method instead .
Read Also: Best Healthy Wet Food For Cats
Pethonesty Flea & Tick Defense Supplement
Image courtesy PetHonesty
The PetHonesty Flea & Tick Defense Supplement is a monthly pill that aids in the prevention of fleas and ticks. This supplement is suitable for dogs and puppies four weeks old or older who weigh two pounds or more.
Asparagus is the active component in PetHonesty Flea & Tick Defense Supplement, which works by disrupting fleas and ticks’ central nervous systems. This leads to paralysis and death in the pests.
This best flea pill for dogs in 2022 is a pick among dog owners since it is both effective and simple to administer to your dog. This pill is available in a chewable tablet form that many dogs like. Give PetHonesty Flea & Tick Defense Supplement on the same day each month for optimal results.
If your dog has a thick flea or tick infestation, you may need to give him a second dose of this best flea medicine for dogs.
Is Comfortis Safe For Cats
Comfortis appears to be a very safe flea treatment/prevention medication for cats. About 14% of cats exhibited self-limiting vomiting the day of or the day after administration, but this was the most significant side effect seen. Comfortis mechanism of action is selective for insect receptors in the fleas nervous system, owing to some of its safety.
Read Also: Cat Litter Box Furniture Chewy
Natural Flea And Tick Chews For Dogs
Image courtesy Amazon
Flea and tick chews from Natural are a monthly flea and tick treatment. This drug is safe for dogs and puppies four weeks of age or older who weigh two pounds or more.
Natural Flea and Tick Chews for Dogs contains the active ingredient sarolaner, which inhibits the central nervous system of fleas and ticks. As a consequence, these insects are paralyzed and die as a result of this action.
With the ingredients found in Natural Flea and Tick Chews for Dogs, you can easily provide relief to your dog. This pill is available in a chewable tablet form that most dogs like.
Why Use Comfortis For Cats
Some of the benefits of using Comfortis flea pill for cats are:
- That one dose lasts for the full month.
- That it can kill fleas even before they start laying eggs.
- It kills fleas within 30 minutes to an hour after first use.
- It is easy to consume as a beef flavoured, chewable tablet.
- Kills 98% of fleas in cats.
- That Comfortis is available in various different doses.
Given the many great benefits of Comfortis for cats, cat owners now have a safe and effective solution for getting rid of fleas. What are you waiting for, check out the amazing pricing of Comfortis flea treatment for cats here!
Don’t Miss: Do German Shepherds Get Along With Cats
How Does Capstar Work
Capstar is given to your pet by mouth. The ingredient that kills fleas, nitenpyram, is quickly absorbed into your pets bloodstream. When the fleas bite, they are exposed to the drug and killed. Fleas start dying from 15 minutes after you pet takes the tablet, and 95% of the fleas exposed to the treatment are dead within 6 hours.
Capstar Oral Flea Treatment For Dogs
Image courtesy Chewy
The fast-acting Capstar Oral Flea Treatment for Dogs kills fleas within 30 minutes and is safe for dogs and puppies four weeks old or older and weighing two pounds or more.
The active component in Capstar is Nitenpyram, which suppresses the flea’s central nervous system. As a result of this, fleas are paralyzed and killed.
Capstar is a popular choice among dog owners since it is both powerful and quick acting. This oral medication is simple to administer and most dogs tolerate it well.
If you have a severe flea infestation, you may need to give your dog a second dose of Capstar 24 hours after the first. One dose is sufficient for most dogs.
Recommended Reading: Catnip For Cat Upset Stomach
When Is Comfortis Safe To Use
Comfortis is safe for dogs and cats over 14 weeks of age. The safety of Comfortis in pregnant females or those feeding their young has not been assessed so its best not to use it. Comfortis should be used with caution in male dogs or cats that are used for breeding. Its always sensible to discuss flea prevention with your veterinarian, and even more important to do so if your pets are used for breeding.
Comfortis is safe to give once a month, but not more often, because its effects are long-lasting.
Comfortis is safe to use alongside most of the commonly used medications, but not all. Your vet will be aware of this and prescribe accordingly. Comfortis should be used with caution in pets with epilepsy, for example.
Comfortis is best fed to your pet with, or immediately after, food. If fed on an empty stomach its beneficial effects may not last as long.
When Is Capstar Safe To Use
Capstar is safe for pets as young as 4 weeks, weighing as little as 2lbs. It can be used during pregnancy or while a mother is feeding her young. Capstar can be given with food or without, and as often as every day. Capstar can be used alongside other commonly used drugs, including other flea treatments. Capstar carries minimal risk of side effects. Some pets are itchier for a short while after taking Capstar, due to the increased activity of the fleas as they start to die. In most cases, this effect is mild and quick to resolve.
- Fast, effective killing of fleas.
- 100% effective within 24 hours.
- Cheaper than some other flea products.
- Can be bought as a single dose.
- Safe for use in puppies and kittens .
- Safe for use in pregnancy and while nursing young.
- Safe to use alongside other commonly used drugs, including other flea products.
- Minimal risk of side effects.
- Available to buy without a veterinary prescription.
- Can be given with or without food.
- Kills adult fleas only no activity against eggs, larvae or pupae.
- No residual activity only kills fleas the day it is given.
- Can lead to increased itchiness for half an hour after being given.
- Contains maize starch so should be used with caution in pets with a known maize allergy.
Don’t Miss: Air Purifier For Cat Litter Dust
Do I Need A Prescription From My Vet For These Best Flea Pills
The best flea pills for dogs in 2022 featured here today do not need a prescription from your vet. That being said, we always recommend that you speak with your veterinarian before starting any new medication, even if itâs over the counter.
This is especially important if your dog is pregnant or nursing, as some flea pills may not be safe for use in these cases.
Beef Flavored And Chewable Tablets
Its not always easy to give your cat medication, and for some owners, the idea of giving their cat a tablet fills them with dread. Other owners might feel their stress levels rising as they look at the calendar and see the date of their cats next spot-on approaching. Because Comfortis flea tablets are beef flavored and chewable, they are more likely to be accepted by your cat as a treat. This takes away the hassle and stress of keeping your cat free from fleas by providing a quick and convenient treatment.
You May Like: Why Does My Cat Scream At Night
What Does Comfortis Do For Cats
Comfortis is labeled for killing adult fleas and preventing infestations by killing fleas before they can lay eggs. According to the manufacturer, Comfortis starts killing fleas within 30 minutes with 98% of fleas killed within four hours. Comfortis then continues to work for an entire month.
As with many flea treatment/prevention products, Comfortis does not provide any repellency against fleas. A flea must bite the skin in order to be killed by the product.
What The Users Say
Weve looked at review sites and forums to provide a summary of what some pet owners think of Comfortis flea tablets.
- Many users are pleased with how effective Comfortis flea tablets are. Many have moved onto Comfortis treatment after other products have seemed to become ineffective. Some users have found it to be the only way to keep their cats with flea allergies from having flare-ups.
- As mentioned previously, Comfortis flea tablets are flavored and palatable, and many users have noted that they find it easy to give Comfortis to their cats.
- Users have commented that they are pleased with how quickly Comfortis has worked. Some have mentioned being unable to find any fleas after just 1 or 2 days.
- As explained above, not every cat will take tablets easily, even if they are palatable. Many cat owners have commented that their cat doesnt like the taste, or they struggle to give the tablet.
- Some reviewers commented that the tablets would be better if they were smaller in size. They have found that the pills are too large to give to their cat easily.
- Many user reviews have commented on side effects, especially vomiting, with some saying that their cats vomit after every dose.
- Others mention more serious potential side effects or reactions. However, as a licensed veterinary medication, all adverse reactions are reported back to the drug company and the medical licensing authority . All side effects are investigated thoroughly, and no unsafe medication would remain licensed.
Also Check: Best Non Grain Free Cat Food
Comfortis For Cats Can Be Used With Other Topicals
When you get Comfortis for your cat, it is important to talk to your vet about the possibility of using it with other medications your pet might be on. Since Comfortis just kills the adult fleas, I also wanted to be able to use a topical such as Frontline or Advantage in order to help inhibit the other life stages of the flea such as the egg and larva.
My vet said that it is safe to give a topical and Comfortis together because they work differently.
Since I am fighting fleas because of being in a southern state and because of the lack of a freezing winter, I have opted to continue topical use along with the Comfortis. Topicals were mostly working but needed that extra push. This pill was what I needed to achieve a flea-free pet once again.
You can buy Comfortis as a single dose, making it an economical choice if you are trying it out.
Visit Your Veterinarian For A Comfortis Prescription
Comfortis® requires a prescription from your veterinarian, who is your best source of advice about your pets health care. Talk to your veterinarian about how Comfortis can provide your dog or cat with fast, effective and convenient flea treatment.
How to purchase Comfortis:
Make an appointment to bring your dog or cat into your veterinary clinic.
Ask your veterinarian about Comfortis for your dog or cat.
Once prescribed by your veterinarian, purchase your 12-month, 6-month, or 3-month supply of Comfortis.
Also Check: How To Draw A Realistic Cat Step By Step
Comfortis For Cats Dosage
Comfortis can be used in both dogs and cats. Be sure to select the correct product so as not to exceed the dosage range for cats.
Comfortis is labeled for use in cats and kittens 14 weeks of age or older that weigh at least 4.1 pounds.
Per the product label, the dose of Comfortis for cats is 50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight by mouth just prior to or after feeding, once monthly. If needed, it may also be given with food. Comfortis chewable tablets are available in three dosages for use in cats according to their weight.
The box colored pink contains 140mg tablets for cats weighing 4.1 to 6 pounds. The orange colored box contains 270mg tablets for cats weighing 6.1 to 12 pounds. The green colored box contains 560mg tablets for cats weighing 12.1 to 24 pounds.
Each box of Comfortis contains six tablets, or a six-month supply of the medication. In many regions of the United States, year-round use of a flea control product like Comfortis is recommended.
Keep in mind that Comfortis can be used in both dogs and cats, and is available in two dosage sizes that exceed the dosage range for cats. Although Comfortis appears to have a wide safety margin, always make sure if giving it to both cats and dogs in the home, that you are double checking your tablet dosages.
It has been recommended that if a kitty vomits within one hour of administering Comfortis, to re-dose with another full dose, especially if trying to treat an active flea infestation.
Tablets Arent For Everyone
Despite the tablets being palatable, flavored, and chewable, not every cat will take pills. If your cat is a bit of a detective and manages to find medication in even the strongest smelling and tastiest disguise, you might find that Comfortis is not for you. After all, it can only be effective if you can get it into your cat!
Also Check: How Much To Euthanize A Cat
What Are The Potential Side Effects Of Comfortis
Side effects that may occur include vomiting. If vomiting occurs within one hour of administration, redose with another full dose. Other side effects may occur. Continue giving Comfortis chewable tablets and talk to your veterinarian if your pet experiences decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, incoordination, weight loss, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. Following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with Comfortis, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation/drooling, seizures, incoordination, excessive dilation of pupils, blindness and disorientation. Post-approval experience continues to support the safety of Comfortis when used concurrently with heartworm preventatives according to label directions.Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or especially bothersome to the pet.