Use A Body Condition Score Card
First, you must determine if your cat is at a healthy weight.
A body condition score card will show you:
- Under ideal weight
- Ideal weight
- Over ideal weight
This will tell you if your cat is eating too little , the right amount , or too much .
Look at your cat from above and from the side. Then feel along your cats sides.
According to the body condition score card, you should be able to see and slightly feel your cats ribs, with a thin layer of fat covering.
You should be able to see a clear indication of your cats waist. But not so much that his bones are sticking out.
What To Do When Your Cat Wont Eat
Cats eat instinctively, so if my Maine Coon wont eat, I know somethings wrong.
If youre wondering, why is my Maine Coon not eating, then here is what you can do to get your cats diet back on track:
- Find Food Your Cat Likes: Your cat might be refusing to eat because it is picky. Try a variety of food brands and flavors to see if you can find something your cat enjoys. If your Maine Coon wont eat wet food, it might be offended by the way it smells since wet food smells stronger, and cats have delicate noses.
- Watch Out For Allergies: Your cat might be refusing to eat because it is allergic to its food. Try to find a food without seafood, wheat, or other common allergens. You can also take your cat to the vet to get it tested for allergies.
- Change Your Cats Food Bowl: If you use a deep, small food bowl, it could be causing your cat to experience discomfort as its whiskers are pushed against the bowl. Switch to a wide, shallow dish instead.
- Make Sure Your Cat Feels Safe: Another reason your Maine Coon might not be eating is because it does not feel secure in its environment. Cats that are eating are vulnerable to attack. Therefore, if you have other pets in the house, your cat might feel insecure. Try putting your cat in a room away from other animals, or up high on a counter or somewhere dogs or other pets cannot reach it.
Factors That Affect How Much To Feed Your Cat:
- Age: Kittens require a lot of nutrients and have a high energy requirement Adult cats and senior cats have less caloric intake requirements.
- Size: Cats vary in size. Maine Coons, which are considered to be a larger breed of cat, will need to eat more than a smaller breed cat, such as a Siamese. Also, cats can vary in their body frame size. Smaller-framed or petite cats require less food than a larger-framed, or big-boned cat.
- Activity level: Cats that tend to lay around burn way fewer calories than a cat that gets a lot of exercise. Also, every cat has their own unique metabolic rate . Some are high and others are low.
- Indoor vs. Outdoor: Outdoor cats tend to burn more calories than indoor cats, as they are usually more physically active.
- Body condition: Overweight cats need fewer calories since they are often less active.
- Health status: Certain diseases alter the type and amount of protein that should be in a cats food. Some illnesses affect a cats metabolic rates causing them to burn more calories.
- Reproductive Status: Pregnant and nursing cats have a higher caloric requirement due to the nutritional demands on their body during those times. But spayed and neutered cats need a reduction in the number of calories due to a slower metabolism from the lack of hormones.
Read Also: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Cat Food
How Much Should A Maine Coon Cat Weigh
Maine Coons are quite rugged and athletic felines, so do Maine Coons get fat?
The truth is that even these powerful cats can struggle with obesity, which is why it is incredibly important to monitor your cats weight.
You can do this by using our Maine Coon growth chart to gauge the weight range your Maine Coon cat should be, according to their age.
Keep in mind that a Maine Coons weight can range anywhere between 8 and 25 pounds, which is a huge range.
It is difficult to see if your cat is a healthy weight since a Maine Coons thick fur can make it very difficult to tell. As a result, the best way to tell if your cat is underweight or overweight is to feel its ribs.
Therefore, for those of you wondering, is my Maine Coon overweight, you should focus on how your cats body feels instead of the number you see on the scale.
A healthy cats ribs will feel as though there is a thick layer of cloth over them.
Underweight cats, however, have sharp ribs that are easily felt.
If you think your cat is underweight or overweight, you should discuss the next steps with your vet before making any changes to your cats diet.
The reason I say this is because some owners put their cats on a strict diet if they think their cat is overweight. They assume it is best to make their cats lose weight as fast as possible.
This is actually incredibly dangerous, though, as cats need to lose weight at a very gradual pace.
Activity Level And Metabolic Rate
Since were calculating how much energy your cat needs to get with food, its just as important to consider how much energy it spends during the day. So, the calories have to be adjusted in accordance with your pets lifestyle. Thats one of the reasons why kittens require on average twice as many calories per their body weight as grown-up cats. As a rule, they are extremely active, running around, exploring the world, and wrestling with one another.
Now, theres no need to overfeed your cat if it prefers to stay inside and just lie in different places. However, if your adult feline spends a lot of time outside or is simply more active and playful, you may need to increase the cat food amounts by 1.5 or even 2 times, depending on its metabolic rate. The same goes for breeding tomcats, who obviously require more energy.
Also Check: Name Of Lovecrafts Cat
The Importance Of Wet Food Intake Calculation
Why is it crucial that we calculate the amount of wet food for cats? Firstly, let me tell you an interesting fact. In 2017, it was estimated that around 60 percent of US cats are diagnosed with obesity or overweight.
In other words, more than 50 millions cats were significantly overweight, which would negatively affect their health by increasing the probability of getting congestive heart failure, disorders related to skin, hepatic lipidosis, and cancer.
Hence, despite the benefits of wet food, it is worth concerning how much wet food is enough for your beloved friends. Not all cats enjoy being active during the days, which may result in their excessive eating. Thus, you should control your cats calorie intake to maintain his/her well-being.
Some Best Dry Cat Food Options Are:
- Purina Friskies Seafood Sensation Adult Dry cat food: Serve your cat with this mouth-watering dry food recipe and make mealtime exciting for your cat.
- Iams Proactive health Indoor weight and hairball control dry cat food: A perfectly balanced cat food for your unique cat.
- Racheal Ray Nutrish super premium dry cat food: Made with simple but natural ingredients with added nutrients, this dry cat food makes the perfect meal for your cat.
You May Like: Is Dawn Dish Soap Safe For Kittens
Transition To Better Cat Food
Chances are youre feeding kibble.
59.5% of cats in the US are overweight and obese. 82% of us feed kibble .
Instead of cutting calories, transition to better quality cat food first.
Kibble is very low in moisture and meat-based protein. AKA nutrition that your cat needs.
So feeding less kibble does not solve your cats weight issue.
Feeding less kibble will further rob your cat of the nutrition that he needs.
Its much better to upgrade his nutrition first. Then you can slowly decrease the amount of food fed daily.
A slow transition is absolutely necessary.
Overweight cats are at high risk for fatty liver disease if they lose too much weight too quickly.
Heres what I recommend:
Cats are extremely sensitive to dietary changes. Any new food should be introduced very slowly.
If you switch food too quickly, you will make your cat sick.
If you prefer to have everything in one place, check out my Switch Your Cat to Raw eBook Course.
Are Maine Coon Cats Picky Eaters
Maine Coons are not known for being any pickier than regular cats, but cats, in general, are known to be quite picky sometimes.
While this can vary from cat to cat, some cats refuse to eat certain foods, brands, and flavors.
If your cat is a picky eater, you should try a variety of food flavors and brands until you find something your cat likes.
Keep in mind that Maine Coon cats also tend to dislike changes in their diets. Therefore, if you have been feeding your cat the same thing for a while, it probably wont appreciate a sudden switch to a new food brand.
Should you need to change your cats diet, make sure you switch foods gradually. This is important since it will prevent your cat from being picky, as well as also limit the likelihood of nausea or stomach upsets.
You should also keep an eye out for symptoms like:
- Other Unusual, Worrying Signs
Believe it or not, cats can also suffer from allergies. Wheat and seafood allergies are among the most common in cats.
Also Check: Training Kitten Not To Bite
Cat Feeding Mistakes: Offering Too Little Water
Clearly water is vital, for cats as well as people. Essential to life, water accounts for 60% to 70% of an adult cats body weight, say ASPCA experts. A serious water deficiency can have critical repercussions for pets, causing serious illness or death.
Although wet foods can go far toward meeting your feline friends water needs, cats should also have several sources of fresh water available through the house, say the pros. Pay attention to where the cat likes to be so that there’s water there, Case suggests. And be aware that some cats prefer running water others can detect the taste of chlorine in tap water so you might want to buy bottled water for them.
Heres a tasty tip to help encourage your cat to drink more, offered inThe Veterinarians Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats:
- Locate a couple leaves of fresh catnip
- Fill a bowl with water and crush the leaves under the water
- Sit back and watch susceptible kitties go wild
What’s A Healthy Rate Of Weight Loss For A Cat
Just like for people, cats need to either burn more calories or take in fewer calories to lose weight. You do not want your cat to lose more than a 1/2 pound per month. Therefore, even if your cat has a significant amount of weight to lose, such as 10 lbs., do not rush the process. Weight loss takes time. No one likes a diet, which includes cats, so if you attempt to make the process go too quickly you will end up with a grumpy cat.
As a final word, I want you to know I understand how hard it can be to get cats to lose weight. I struggled with one of my cats, so I know the suffering you are enduring. But I want you to know it is possible to get your cat to lose weight and in the long run, it is the best thing for both of you!
Recommended Reading: How Many Calories Should A Kitten Eat
How Much Should You Feed Your Adult Cat
As your kittens metabolism starts to slow down and he reaches adulthood, you might notice him start to put on excess weight. Obesity is a common issue among adult cats and, when not corrected early on, may lead to complications later in life. Regular exercise and a well-controlled diet will help to prevent obesity and keep your cat in good shape.
Whether you feed your cat homemade cat food or the best commercial cat foods, its critical to feed him the right amount per day. But theres no single amount of food that every cat should eat each day.
Calorie needs vary from cat to cat, with many factors coming into play. When deciding how much to feed your cat, youll have to consider his breed, age, reproductive status, underlying health conditions, and more. In general, however, the recommended daily caloric intake is about 20 calories per pound of bodyweight.
that helps you identify how many calories your cat needs per day.
Maine Coon Raw Food Diet
The most common way that owners feed their Maine Coons is with a combination of dry food and wet food.
Whilst this combination is considered a great, healthy way to provide your cat with all the nutrients it needs, some owners opt to feed their Maine Coons a raw food diet instead.
Here are some factors owners should consider if they are considering giving their Maine Coon kittens and cats a raw food diet:
- No Pathogens: Firstly, even though cats in the wild eat raw meat all the time, meat processed by humans is more likely to contain pathogens like E. coli, since even frozen or refrigerated meat can be days or even weeks old before it is purchased in the store.
- Supplements: Secondly, you cannot just feed your Maine Coon raw meats and expect it to be perfectly healthy. Instead, you will need to supplement your cats diet with certain vitamins and minerals, to ensure it is getting all the nutrients it requires.
- Dangers: There are potential dangers of providing your Maine Coon a raw food diet. Handling and preparing raw meat for your cat can expose you and others in your household to dangerous and even deadly pathogens. If you, any household members, or even your cat are immune-compromised, you should not feed your cat a raw diet.
With all that being said, here is a quick guide to providing your Maine Coon with a raw food diet.
Firstly, make sure you feed your cat meats like:
- Ground Bones
- Supplements such as Taurine
- Certain Vtamins
Also Check: Blue Wilderness Wet Cat Food Reviews
How Much Food Should A Cat Eat A Day
If the cat owner is feeding a good quality dry food, that has a good quality protein, then the indoor cat needs only approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food each day. Most high quality foods have approximately 500 calories per 8 ounce cup of food. The major protein source of the food is very important.
How To Calculate How Much Wet Food To Feed A Cat
Sharing your life with a cat is certainly rewarding. Theres nothing quite like cozying up with your four-legged fluffball after a long days work.
But being a pet parent carries with it a lot of responsibility, too, especially when it comes to determining how much food to feed a cat. Feeding cats is more complicated than simply ladling out a few kibbles here and there you need to consider several factors, especially if you choose to give your cat wet food. Determining how much wet food to feed a cat can get complicated, but were here to help.
Read Also: How To Stop Cat From Scratching Door
Cat Feeding Guide / Chart
This is an estimate for a Daily Feeding Guide for an Adult cat eating a standard Maintenance diet with a lifestyle factor of 1.0.
The ounces have been rounded, but you can assume a slight increase for each pound your cat weighs.
*Based on a Dry Kibble of 100Cal/oz and Canned food of 28Cal/oz .
If you would like to personalize the results for your cat, you can include the calorie content of the food in this online calculator:
IMPORTANT Pro Tip
Write down your cats feeding plan, and keep it where you prepare your pets meals.
How Much Wet Food Does Your Cat Need
Your cat’s caloric needs depend on several factors. Your cat’s weight can give you a basic guideline of how much to feed. However, it’s essential to determine your cat’s body condition. A lean, muscular cat with large bones may weigh 15 pounds and be at a healthy weight. This cat will require more calories to maintain that healthy weight. However, a 15-pound, small-boned, overweight cat needs fewer calories. The overweight cat should be fed according to her ideal weight, not her actual weight.
Age and activity level also play a role in determining the proper amount of calories needed. A growing kitten needs many more calories than an adult or senior cat. An active cat that runs and plays frequently will need more calories than a cat that remains sedentary most of the time. A nursing mother needs extra calories to produce milk and stay healthy.
If you wish to be accurate in calculating the number of calories you feed your cat, then start by finding out how many calories your cat needs. The National Research Council offers a general guideline of nutritional needs of cats:
Recommended Reading: Do Savannah Cats Get Along With Dogs
Should You Feed Your Cat Both Wet And Dry Food
First, determine if you will be feeding your cat a 100 percent wet food diet or including some dry food. While the gold standard is to feed all wet food to cats, some cats love dry food and will undereat if they are only given wet food. In addition, dry food is more affordable, so feeding part dry will be easier on your budget.
Feeding a mix of wet and dry may require a bit of math to make sure your cat is getting the appropriate number of calories. One easy starting point is to look at the recommended daily feeding amounts on each type of food and half them.
Once you have settled on the ratio of wet-to-dry, it’s time to determine the calorie count of the food. Make sure you are feeding a quality diet that’s listed as “complete and balanced” by AAFCO. Then, determine the number of calories per portion.