What To Look For In A Good Food For Older Cats
Theres no one size fits all solution when looking for food for older cats. Some cats will be suffering from some health issues, and other cats will be suffering from other health issues . We will list some common considerations below, but remember that not all cats will need all of the things were about to cover.
Iams Proactive Health Healthy Senior Dry Cat Food
Whereas older cats who have lost some of their teeth can struggle with dry food, older cats that still have a full set need support for maintaining their healthy teeth. This IAMS formula is specially formulated with crunchy kibble to reduce plaque build-up and keep teeth healthier for longer.
While this food is quite high in calories and fat, it should not be too much of a problem for relatively active older cats. They will also get a boost from the metabolism enhancing l-Carnitine included in the formula.
It does contain grains, which can be problematic for some cats with sensitive stomachs. However, it should be relatively easy to digest overall as it is high in fiber and contains prebiotics to promote stomach health.
- High-calorie and high in fat
Overall: Healthy Teeth
The Best Cat Food For Senior Cats Is Highly Palatable With A Taste And Smell That Cats Find Hard To Resist
As senior cats age, they often lose interest in food or become increasingly finicky. You can stimulate your cats appetite by choosing foods that taste and smell great. You can add warm water to your cats food or even heat it on the stove to bring it up to around 101 degreesyour cats body temperature and what most cats prefer to eat. A sprinkle of bonito flakes or a splash of tuna juice can also encourage your senior to eat.
Also Check: Ship Cats Across Country
Best Wet Senior Cat Food For Older Cats: Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult 11+
Cats enter their senior years at about year seven. Once they get over the age of 11, theyve entered the last few years when nutrition becomes absolutely essential to their ongoing quality of life. Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult 11+ has the nutrients to keep the coat and immune system powered. Salmon and tuna provide omega-3 fatty acids and combine them with the perfect blend of vitamins and nutrients to keep the immune system functioning. An extra dose of taurine works to maintain eyesight and heart health.
This easy to digest, classic pate is soft enough for gums and jaw muscles that may be wearing out. Like other wet cat foods, it contains a high moisture content, which is important for older cats. They dont always stay hydrated, so the more liquid you can get in them when theyre eating, the better.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult 11+ Key Features:
- Nutritional balance for cats 11+
- Taurine for eye health
- Vitamin E boosts skin and coat health
Delectables Stew Lickable Treat For Senior Cats 10 Years+
Cat owners say this food is very palatable and easy to eat* the package says lickable treat, but the instructions state this is actually a cat food, not a treat food.
You can feed one packet per meal instead of dry kibble or wet cat food.
There are three recipes to choose from: chowder, bisque and stew. Cat owners say this is also a good choice for as one of the best cat food for senior cats because it is so tasty even very finicky cats will enjoy it!
Recommended Reading: Normal Tpr For Cats
The Best Food For Senior Cats
So what is the best cat food for senior cats? With these five selections, weve picked the best dry food for senior cats which are also the best wet food for senior cats.
Each variety below comes in both dry and wet versions with similar ingredients. You might consider feeding your aging cat wet food instead of dry food, especially if your senior cat has teeth problems.
These senior cat food reviews below will serve as good guidance for any concerned pet owner of an aging cat.
|35.3% protein, 19.8% fat|
Iams Proactive Health Senior Adult Dry Cat Food
IAMS senior cat food* offers three different options for caring for a senior cats nutritional needs. Their Mature Adult, Mature Adult-Hairball Care and Healthy Senior foods might be the right choice for your old pal.
The Mature cat formula is ideal for cats aged 8 to 10 years, while the Senior cat formula is for cats aged 11+ years.
These recipes include prebiotics, probiotics and beet pulp for a healthy digestion. It also contains antioxidants, vitamins and minerals for immune system health.
The added L-carnitine helps maintain a healthy metabolism for weight management.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Name Of Lovecrafts Cat
How Do I Ensure Proper Hydration
Water is the single most important nutrient for cats of any age. Aging, however, interferes with a cat’s sensitivity to thirst which is already low in cats and predisposes them to dehydration.
Chronic dehydration can interfere with normal metabolic function and may speed the progression of subclinical disease.
“Water is the single most important nutrient for cats of any age.”
Make sure your cat has regular access to water and monitor the amount of water left in the bowl to see if there is any reduction in their water intake. Have multiple bowls of varied sizes in different areas and all floors of your home. Water bowls should not be near food as cats prefer not to drink close to their food. Some cats prefer to drink running water if your cat prefers water from the tap, invest in a water fountain for them. Clean and freshen water bowls regularly to eliminate built up debris that may deter your cat. Feeding more canned food will also increase water intake.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Cat Food
The Wellness Complete Health Natural dry cat food is the best food for senior cat owners who prefer feeding their cats a natural diet.
This kibble contains no animal by-products and is made with deboned chicken. The wellness complete health natural dry cat food helps maintain a senior cats weight. This diet has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
It contains no wheat, corn, or soy. The Wellness Complete Health recipe contains rice and barley.
Buy a bag of Wellness kibble if youre searching for cat food filled with natural ingredients.
Also Check: Blue Wilderness Mature Cat Food
Homemade Cat Food Recipes For Senior Cats
Providing adequate nutrition for your senior cat will certainly help them live a long and healthy life. But with so many types of senior cat food on the market, how can you be sure that youre choosing one that fits your elderly felines dietary restrictions? Well, in short, extensive research! This is only one option though you might also opt for a few vet-approved recipes that you can create in your own kitchen.
Now, before making any sort of drastic switch in the food you serve to your cat, you should clear it with your veterinarian. Unfortunately, there isnt one size fits all when it comes to transitioning your cat to senior food. So, your vet will have a better understanding of the health of your feline and what they require as they enter their golden years!
A few additional things to consider before committing to learning how to make cat food for senior cats of your very own is that you must ensure you are properly storing the food you create and are dedicated to ongoing cooking so your little buddy has a steady and fresh supply of nutritious food.
As for the food itself, here are seven delightful recipes that your senior cat is sure to be excited about.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned
Purina friskies gravy wet cat food The meat and sauce are entangled in this tasty wet texture, ensuring your kitty eats the whole cat stew, rather than licking up the sauce and. After researching the needs of senior cats and studying the market, weve chosen feline natural chicken & venison feast as the best cat food for senior cats.
Recommended Reading: Pectus Carinatum Cat
Senior Cat Food: Tips And Advice
As you consider which food would work best for your senior cat, perhaps the most important factor is whether the food helps your cat maintain a consistent, healthy weight. It is vital that senior cats stay at a healthy weight, Miller says. At checkups, your family veterinarian will check your cats weight, muscle tone, and body condition to make sure theyre not too lean or too overweight. To maintain good health, senior cats should eat enough appropriate food to maintain their weight. If you notice a change in your senior cats weighteither an increase or decreaseor if they stop eating and using the litter box, see your veterinarian as soon as possible.
Best Fresh Cat Food For Senior Cats
Containing only USDA-certified, humanely harvested, sustainably sourced ingredients, Smalls is a subscription meal service for cats that offers high-in-protein, human-grade wet food with no fillers. Available in three proteinschicken, beef, and turkeyand two textures, smooth and ground, this food is ideal for cats who can be a bit picky about what they eat. Even though this food isnt specifically formulated for senior cats, we like it for older kitties for a few reasons. First, the food has super-high quality ingredients with a plethora of tastes and textures for even the pickiest cat. Second, the food is high-protein, which is a desirable trait for senior cat food. And third, we especially enjoy that Smalls is available via a delivery service, so you will never run out and have to rush to the store for your kittys supper.
- Shows up at your doorstepno trip to the store required
- High-protein food without any fillers
- USDA-certified and sustainably sourced ingredients
- Made in the USA
Things to Consider
- Food arrives frozen and should only be thawed 24 hours before you are ready to use it
- Open wet food must be kept in the fridge and only keeps for 5-7 days
- This food is only available through a subscription service
Don’t Miss: Why Do Cats Head Bump Their Owners
Hills Science Diet Senior Wet Cat Food
Just like with their senior dry cat food line, Hills Science Diet has a great variety of wet food recipes*. These were specially designed for senior cats aged 7+ years and senior cats aged 11+ years.
There are no artificial ingredients or preservatives in any of these recipes.
Furthermore, all are enriched with essential vitamins, minerals and healthy dietary fiber. Every ingredient is tailored to the age and life stage of your indoor or indoor/outdoor cat.
It Helps To Control Inflammation
Inflammatory conditions, including pancreatitis and arthritis, are more common among senior cats than younger cats. The best food helps to reduce that inflammation.
Look for foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids from animal sources. Salmon oil, krill oil, menhaden fish oil, and green-lipped mussels are excellent sources of these inflammation-easing fatty acids.
Your senior cats food also shouldnt contain anything that will make inflammation worse. Avoid potentially-inflammatory ingredients like artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and carrageenan.
Also Check: Cat Squinting
Hills Science Diet Natural Ingredients Based
The Hills Science Diet wet cat food is exclusively formulated for senior cats. The cat food is enriched with high-quality protein for your felines lean muscles. The all-natural formula makes it completely safe for your pet and easy on your cats stomach and gets digested easily without any problem.
The canned food also has various proteins, amino acids, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins apart from taurine, wheat flour, fish oil, soybean, corn gluten meals and rice. The quantity given must be lesser than usual if it is given along with dry food. There are no artificial preservatives, flavors and colors. The food is available in two meat flavors of savory chicken and savory turkey.
Pros: Succulent texture for easy chewing, healthy coat and teeth due to the inclusion of antioxidants and taurine.
Cons: Must be refrigerated soon after opening and hence may not be suitable when traveling with your pet.
Hills Science Diet Dry Cat Food
- Provides cats 11 and older with taurine for heart health, and balanced minerals for bladder & kidney health.
- Supports healthy skin and coat with vitamin E, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- An easily digestible dry cat food with natural fibers to support a mature cats sensitive stomach
- Made with natural ingredients
- Mix up meal time with Hills Science Diet Adult 11+ Healthy Cuisine Seared Tuna & Carrot Medley
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
- 1 Veterinarian Recommended
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: This grain free mature cat food contains more of the chicken cats love to support healthy muscle growth and contains DHA to promote cognitive development.
- PATÉ STYLE CANNED CAT FOOD: This high protein senior cat food features a smooth texture your feline friend cant resist.
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: All BLUE canned cat foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals.
- MADE WITHOUT WHEAT: BLUE wet cat food contains NO chicken by-product meals, NO corn, wheat or soy, and NO artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains twenty four 5.
Also Check: How To Make A Kitten Calm Down
Our Top Picks For The Best Cat Food For Senior Cats
- Rich in highly-digestible protein from beef
- Low carbohydrate content
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- An exceptionally expensive food
- Contains sunflower seed oil instead of animal-sourced fat
- Made with real chicken thighs and chicken breast
- Fresh cat food sent right to your door
- Rich in moisture and highly digestible
- Wholesome nutrition with no additives or preservatives
- Subscription required to order
- Meals arent portioned for individual servings
- Features highly-digestible animal protein sources as the primary ingredients
- Low carbohydrate content
- Contains tuna oil as a source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Doesnt contain any inflammatory ingredients
- A very budget-friendly food
- Reviewers are divided on the foods palatability
- some cats just dont like this food
- Primarily made from a novel protein
- Rich in highly-digestible animal protein
- Features salmon oil as a source of omega-3 fatty acids
- The soft texture is easy for senior cats to eat
- A very expensive food
- Some cats dont like the rabbit flavor
- Rich in highly-digestible animal protein
- Contains a species-appropriate mix of muscle meat, organs, and blood
- Low in carbohydrates
- Green-lipped mussels may help to support joint health
- Relatively low in phosphorus, especially compared to other freeze-dried foods
- Primarily made from readily-digested animal ingredients
- One of the most expensive cat foods on the market
Was this article helpful?
Solid Gold Indigo Moon High Protein Grain
- This is grain-free food suitable for all life stages and made with US raised chicken as 1st ingredient and egg for the active metabolism of your cat.
- Moreover, this high protein diet contains no artificial preservatives, colors crafted with balanced minerals and vitamins for overall health.
- Most importantly, this food is one of the highest proteins up to 42% on the market, and ideal for diabetes issues.
- Additionally, this food contains fiber-rich peas for balancing all ash content plus omega fatty acids for the shiny and soft coats of your cat.
- Also, this food is famous for supporting the guts health and immune system of your feline with balanced, cleanse, and fatty acids.
- Lastly, this food is crafted with carefully selected superfoods that provide 100% satisfaction and make it ideal for all life stages cats.
You May Like: How Many Calories Should A Cat Have
Best Dry Cat Food For Senior Cats Buying Guide
Older cats are still your companion, so you need to keep in mind some factors that will increase their life span. Choosing the best food that fulfills all the nutritional needs and essential vitamins and minerals is a confusing task. So here is a guide to minimize all your problems so that you can choose the best dry cat food for your senior cat.
Recipes For Homemade Cat Food For Senior Cats : 15+ Ebook Recipe Videos
Every cat owner knows that felines can be picky eaters recipes for homemade cat food for senior cats. A recipe for healthy cats · protein: Cats are cute, but they’re also little wrecking crews in a home or yard thanks to their natural tendencies to scratch and mark territories. One way to ensure your c.
20 Purrfect DIY Projects for Cat Owners – Page 2 of 2 from www.diyncrafts.com
Every cat owner knows that felines can be picky eaters. Raw chicken liver and salmon. Mackerel recipe · 1 cup canned mackerel · 1 tablespoon oil from canned fish · 1 tablespoon organic, brown rice, cooked · 1 to 2 tablespoons of chicken or beef broth . Deciding to make your own dog food at home brings excitement and challenge at the same time. Instead of expensive concoctions, make your own cat repellent to get the job done. Fish oil, krill oil and flaxseeds are excellent sources of omega fatty acids that you can look to deploy into your homemade cat food recipes for senior cats. A balanced diet is important, but that doesn’t mean you can’t treat your cat to homemade food once in a while. Diabetes diet¹· 1/2 cup organic chicken · 1/2 cup chicken liver · 1/2 cup grains · 1/4 cup .
Don’t Miss: Blue Healthy Gourmet Cat Food