Theyre More Likely To Have Health Issues
Its a sad fact that as your animal friends get older, theyre more likely to suffer from health issues. Cats and dogs are affected by many of the same ailments as humans in old age, hearing loss, arthritis, and eyesight problems. Pre-existing health conditions can also become more pronounced as your pet gets older, meaning you might need to purchase special equipment or pricey medication.
Taking out pet insurance as soon as you can means that your pet will be covered for any issues that arise during their twilight years. Older animals cost more to insure but theyre a lot more likely to need expensive care.
Best Pet Insurance Companies Of 2022
- Best for Routine Care: PetFirst
- Best for Multiple Pets: ASPCA
- Best for Emergencies: Embrace
- Best for Holistic Care: Figo
- Best for Older Dogs: Hartville
- Best for Chronic Conditions: 24PetWatch
- Best for Servicemembers: USAA
- Best Affordable Pet Insurance: Progressive
- Starting price: $99 per year
- Deductible: $0
While Pet Assure doesnt fall under the standard pet insurance umbrella, its low cost and flexibility make it our top pick for owners of all types of pets.
Covers all types of pets
No annual limits or deductibles
Not subject to waiting periods
Pays for pre-existing conditions
Limited to in-network veterinarians
Covers only 25% of costs
Prescriptions not covered
Pet Assure offers plans for a single cat, a single dog, a family plan for up to four animals of any size, and an unlimited plan for all pets in your household. Best of all, theres no waiting period before you can use your coverage. All of Pet Assures plans come with discounted veterinary services, including treatments related to:
- Pre-existing conditions
Pet Assure insurance is pretty affordable, plus there is no deductible. You can save some money on your policy if you choose the annual billing option. These are the rates for each insurance plan:
- Single cat plan: $9.95 per month
- Single dog plan: $11.95 per month
- Family plan: $16.95 per month
- Unlimited plan: $21.95 per month
- Deductibles: None
Cost Of Insurance For Older Animals
Age affects more than your ability to purchase pet insurance for older pets. It also increases your premium for a policy that you might purchase or one you already have. This increase occurs because older pets are at a greater risk for illness, injury, or disease and are more likely to need veterinary care. You can also expect annual price increases once you buy coverage, as your pets insurance cost will go up due to the potentially increasing need for health care.
As your pet ages, the need for health care may become more important than ever. Ensure that your older pet gets the type of coverage that can make it easier to manage expensive veterinary bills. Compare plans and prices at PetInsuranceQuotes.com and then complete our simple online form for free quotes. Once youve read reviews and browsed the insurer information, make your selection and sign up for senior pet health insurance today.
Read Also: 15 Year Old Cat
What Is A Pet Insurance Waiting Period
When enrolling in coverage, you have to wait a few days after the policys effective start date before you can use your policy. Companies offer various waiting periods for accidents, ranging from two to 15 days, but the waiting period is typically 14 days for illnesses. Any emergencies that occur during the waiting period will not be eligible for claims.
How To Find The Best Pet Insurance
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list ofour partnersandhere’s how we make money.
Pet insurance reimburses you for some of the vet bills when your animal companion gets injured or sick. Buying the best pet insurance requires careful shopping because the policies arent standardized, and the range of options makes it hard to compare plans. For example:
Some policies cover treatment only after accidents, while others cover both accidents and illnesses. Accident-only plans may be cheaper, but their coverage wont help you if your pet gets sick.
Pet insurance plans often include exclusions, age restrictions, payout limits and waiting periods before your coverage takes effect. Some may also reimburse higher portions of your vet bills than others.
Some companies offer coverage for routine care, such as annual vaccinations and wellness visits, and extras such as coverage to pay for finding a lost pet. Youll typically pay more for these add-ons.
To help you sort through the options, weve put together this overview of the leading U.S. pet insurance companies.
Read Also: Cat Drinking Christmas Tree Water
Our Top Picks For Best Pet Insurance Of January 2022
- Healthy Paws – Best for Alternative Therapies
- ASPCA – Best for Hereditary and Congenital Conditions
- Spot – Best for Unlimited Coverage
- Pumpkin – Best for Puppies and Kittens
- Figo – Best for Reimbursement Options
- Embrace – Best for Older Pets
- Pets Best – Best for Treatment of Mobility Issues
- Lemonade – Best for Fast Claims Processing
- Trupanion – Best for Direct Payment to Vets
- Nationwide – Best for Exotic Pets
Honorable Mentions: TrustedPals, Petplan, Metlife Pet Insurance, PetFirst, 24PetWatch, Hartville, Pet Assure, USAA Pet Insurance and GEICO Pet Insurance
- No hip dysplasia coverage for dogs enrolled at six years or older
- Only a single policy offered
- Limited coverage options for senior pets
- Office exams aren’t covered
Healthy Paws offers just one accident and illness policy for cats and dogs. It has no per-incident, annual or lifetime benefit caps, and you can choose a deductible between $100 and $500.
Healthy Paws provides quick claim processing through its mobile app, and most claims are processed in just two days. It also offers a direct payment option instead of reimbursement if you cant afford the upfront veterinary bill.
Healthy Paws is best for pets that are enrolled while theyre young, as coverage options and reimbursement rates are more limited for senior pets.
- Claims processing may take up to 30 days
- Monthly payments incur a transaction fee
- Website is not user friendly
- Annual coverage limits apply
- Limited deductible options
Is Senior Pet Insurance Different Than Insurance For Younger Animals
Insurance for senior pets works the same way as it does for younger pets. The main difference is price. Since older dogs and cats are more likely to need medical care, it generally costs more to buy pet insurance for them. Senior pets may also be excluded from coverage if an insurer has a maximum age limit for new policies. However, Progressive Pet Insurance by Pets Best has no age limits, so you can enroll your senior pet at any age.
Older dogs and cats are more likely to need medical care and therefore may cost more to insure.
You May Like: Are Schefflera Plants Poisonous To Cats
How Do I Use The Cat Insurance Comparison Charts Below
The cost of your cat insurance will vary depending on whats included in your policy. Your level of coverage, co-payment amount, deductible options, and even the age and breed of your cat and where you live, can all affect your monthly insurance premiums, which is why its important to compare a range of insurers to find a policy which best suits your individual needs and budget.
The charts below highlight plans from the United States, Canada, or both. Youll find basic information for a variety of companies, including monthly cost, coverage, deductible, and age limit . Youll also find a rating and number of reviews, which you can click on to read hundreds, even thousands, of reviews from actual pet owners who have worked with that company.
Weve provided a variety of information to help you compare and research plans to find the best fit for you. When youre ready to move forward with a company, click Get a quote to get started!
Top 12 Pet Insurance Providers Reviewed
- Insure your pet in seconds starting as low as $10/month
- Flexible deductibles, reimbursement rate, and annual maximum
- Optional coverage for routine care, and wellness visits
- Flexible deductible between $200 and $1000
- Annual payout maximum between $5,000 and $15,000
- Choose a reimbursement percentage of 65%, 80%, or 90%
- One of the most affordable options for multi-pet homes
- Gives you a $3,000 emergency fund
- You get 24/7 access to qualified veterinarians
- Offers annual coverage limits of $5,000, $10,000, and unlimited
- Choose a deductible of between $50 and $1,000
- Choose a reimbursement level of 70%, 80%, or 90%
- Offers annual coverage limits of $5,000, $10,000, and unlimited
- Choose an annual deductible of between $100 and $1,500
- Choose a reimbursement level of 70%, 80%, 90%, or 100%
- Choice of annual coverage amount $2500 to unlimited
- Choice of annual deductible amount $250 to $1,000
- You can choose your reimbursement percentage 70%, 80%, or 90%
- Affordable alternative to pet insurance
- Low $17 monthly subscription fee plus $48 deposit
- Costs are shared among the members of a group
- Offers extensive coverage for many services
- Accepts cats of any age 8 weeks or older
- Easy signup process
- Offers annual coverage limits of $5000 and $10,000
- Choose a deductible of between $0 and $1,000
- Choose a reimbursement level of 70%, 80%, 90%, or $100
Also Check: What Is Too Cold For Feral Cats
How Does Pet Health Insurance Work
- Waiting periods Your insurance wont pay for care until a waiting period has elapsed. Most companies require at least 14 days after enrollment before they will reimburse you for a vet visit due to illness.
- Exclusions The language of pet insurance policies usually excludes some specific conditions. Read the policy carefully before buying, so you’ll know what is and isnt covered.
- Network restrictions Unlike health insurance for humans, pet insurance generally doesn’t have a restricted or preferred network of providers. However, some insurers may limit certain coverage to specific vets. There may, however, be geographic restrictions for example, your pet may not be covered if you travel to Canada or Puerto Rico.
What Is The Purpose Of Your Pet Insurance
Start by making a list of what youd like your pet insurance to cover. Like most types of insurance, pet insurance comes with many extra features that are expensive and not necessary. Making a list of your desired coverage beforehand will help you avoid these upsells. Its important not to purchase more coverage than you need, because it will be more expensive.
Recommended Reading: Shirts For Kittens
What Else Should I Consider When Buying Pet Insurance For An Older Cat
- Make sure your cats policy doesnt lapse. The most efficient way to protect your cat, especially if theyre a senior moggy, is to continue to renew their policy. That way, you wont struggle to find them new cover, should you have to
- Whats the excess? If something unfortunate happens to your senior cat, the excess is the amount you pay before you can claim on insurance. A higher excess can keep premiums down, but be confident you can afford it before taking out cover
- Pre-existing health conditions. If your older cat already has a heath condition, its unlikely that youll be able to get them insured under a new policy with most insurers. However, some will take a specialist approach and still offer cover
- Know the breed. Its worth knowing what kind of health conditions your breed of cat is prone to in later life, so you can make sure they are covered. If in doubt, speak to your local vet who should be able to advise
- Policy extras. If your pet dies, some insurance policies will pay out or may even cover bereavement counselling
Find Cover For Older Felines
Cats are part of the family and as they age have medical needs like all of us. Taking out pet insurance for your older cat can give you the peace of mind that youre covered and avoid the financial sting of a pricy vets bill
Whether you choose to go for it or not, pet insurance for older cats is worth seriously considering. Even if your moggy is currently in fine fettle, unexpected health complications can arise as they age, and unfortunately accidents still happen. Taking out a policy could save you a fortune in vets bills and provide the peace of mind that youre covered should anything happen.
You May Like: Is Tuna Juice Bad For Cats
Youre Our First Priorityevery Time
We believe everyone should be able to make financial decisions with confidence. And while our site doesnt feature every company or financial product available on the market, were proud that the guidance we offer, the information we provide and the tools we create are objective, independent, straightforward and free.
So how do we make money? Our partners compensate us. This may influence which products we review and write about , but it in no way affects our recommendations or advice, which are grounded in thousands of hours of research. Our partners cannot pay us to guarantee favorable reviews of their products or services.Here is a list of our partners.
Is Pet Insurance For Senior Animals Worth It
Older animals are more likely to gain weight, get sick, and be unable to fight off disease and infection. Pet insurance can help cover some or all of the costs associated with these issues. It may also help offset the costs of euthanasia and cremation services should it come to that.
Of course, insurance does mean another monthly cost, and unless your pet gets sick, that could be money wasted. Not sure if pet insurance is worth it in your animals case? Here are a few scenarios to consider.
Read Also: Cat Attacking Tail Viciously
Insure Your Older Pet This Autumn With A Lifetime Policy From Agria Pet Insurance The Uks Most Trusted Pet Insurance Provider
During October and November, were lifting the upper age limits that usually prevent senior cats, older dogs, and older rabbits from being protected with a new lifetime insurance policy.
And, every new policy comes with the first month totally free, and a fantastic hamper for your pet!
As well as being the UKs Most Trusted, we are rated Excellent on Trustpilot, and have a 5-star Defaqto rating, giving you confidence that we will care for your pet throughout their retirement.For your first month free and a special hamper for your pet, use promo code AA21
How Much Does Pet Insurance For Cats Cost
The cost of pet insurance for cats can vary depending on their breed and age, but we found that monthly premiums are usually around $10$30. For the most accurate pricing, we suggest getting a few quotes from different providers by entering your ZIP code and answering a few questions about your cat on each companys website.
Read Also: Grain Free Cat Food Blue Buffalo
How Much Does Cat Insurance Cost
The best way to find out your price is to get a quote. To give you an idea, 10% of owners of five year old cats paid £8.86 on average a month with us in 2021 across all levels of cover.
The price you pay for cat insurance depends on:
- The level of cover you choose
- Your cat’s age
- Their breed
- Where you love
Get a quote today to find out how much it’ll cost to cover your cat or find out more about the cost of cat insurance and how to save. Weve made it easy for you to compare our policies, choose extra features and set your excess if your pet is under nine.
Cats are often cheaper to insure than dogs because their vet treatment usually costs less and they tend to need it less often.
We try to make sure our prices are fair for all pet owners and we have a range of policies to suit different needs.
More Than Pet Insurance For Older Cats
More Than can offer pet insurance for elderly cats. It will insure cats of any age, and has four different policy types to choose from:
Accident Only – This policy offers £2,500 for vet fees, but will not cover your pet for any illnesses it may contract, only for accidents.
Basic – This is a time-limited policy, meaning your pet will be covered for an illness it contracts for either 12 months or up to the vet fees limit. Limits for More Than’s Basic policy are £1,500 or £3,000.
Classic – Offers either £4,000 or £8,000 vet fees limit, and is a per condition policy, meaning each illness will be covered separately for each condition.
Premier is More Than’s lifetime policy, meaning the vet fees limit will reset each year you continue your policy. Premier offers either £4,000 or £12,000 of cover for vet fees.
For pets over 9, you will have to contribute 10% of the cost of a claim, on top of the policy excess of £150. If your pet is under 9, the policy excess is £75.
Read Also: Lovecraft Cats Name
What Are The Different Types Of Insurance For Older Cats
Unfortunately, many companies will increase your premium once your cat is over a certain age. If your cat already has existing health conditions this could rise even more.
In the same way that claiming on car insurance increases your premium, so does making a claim on your pet insurance. Chances are your renewal quote will be much higher should your cat need expensive vetinary treatment..